2yr old hen, No eggs

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I posted this, but i’m posting again.
I have a 2 year old cream legbar hen who hasn’t laid an egg in almost a month. Her last full hard shelled egg was February 15th, no eggs until she laid a soft shelled one February 25th and no eggs since then. She went through her winter molt, laid for a couple days then stopped. She’s eating, drinking and active like normal. I’ve tried calcium tablets. I figured maybe she was still molting because some of her feathers were in the coop but that was well over a week ago and i haven’t seen anymore loose feathers. Sometimes she sits with her head tucked, like shown in the photo. I’ve felt her underside and haven’t felt any eggs or anything. Crop is emptying like normal. I have 4 other hens that are laying like normal, one also being her sister that is a cream legbar, 2yo.

Can anyone help me. I’m loosing hope that she’ll lay again.

Attachments

• AE4040C0-3638-40DB-B16D-9950B6FDB220.jpeg
    AE4040C0-3638-40DB-B16D-9950B6FDB220.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 10
I posted this, but i’m posting again.
She’s eating, drinking and active like normal. I’ve tried calcium tablets..... Crop is emptying like normal. I have 4 other hens that are laying like normal, one also being her sister that is a cream legbar, 2yo.

Can anyone help me. I’m loosing hope that she’ll lay again.
She's eating/drinking/acting normal.
You can't make her lay eggs. You'll just have to wait it out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/no-eggs-from-almost-2yr-old-hen.1566842/

If she is otherwise healthy then she is simply taking a normal break. I have seen from 200–260 being the average number of eggs a cream legbar lays in a year so let’s say 230. That leaves 130 days out of the year where you will get no eggs. That is healthy and normal.

If she is otherwise healthy then she is simply taking a normal break. I have seen from 200–260 being the average number of eggs a cream legbar lays in a year so let’s say 230. That leave 130 days out of the year where you will get no eggs. That is healthy and normal.
The only reason i’m really worried is because last year she didn’t do this but she was a new layer. And i had a hen die from some sort of egg problem in her track, i believe it was egg peritonitis but i caught it too late.

When is the last time you dewormed your chickens?

The reason I ask is because I had a friend who’s chickens stopped laying. I dewormed them then they started laying again. Fecal testing is so important to all animal health that often times get overlooked. Not saying you have overlooked it, just stating.

The only reason i’m really worried is because last year she didn’t do this but she was a new layer. And i had a hen die from some sort of egg problem in her track, i believe it was egg peritonitis but i caught it too late.
chickens are egg laying machines in their first year of laying, but once they reach 2 that’s when they start to slow down and take more breaks. The hens that tend to have the most reproductive issues are the ones that lay non-stop.

When is the last time you dewormed your chickens?

The reason I ask is because I had a friend who’s chickens stopped laying. I dewormed them then they started laying again. Fecal testing is so important to all animal health that often times get overlooked. Not saying you have overlooked it, just stating.
I haven’t, only because i’m not aware that I have to. I’m aware that some people do but i’ve never really thought about doing it myself.

What do you use to deworm them? What’re the steps to doing it?

I should probably send a sample into the vet, if they would even do that for me.

I haven’t, only because i’m not aware that I have to. I’m aware that some people do but i’ve never really thought about doing it myself.

What do you use to deworm them? What’re the steps to doing it?

I should probably send a sample into the vet, if they would even do that for me.
Yes, first thing is to send a fecal sample to the vet. That way you know what worms you are combating since dewormer treat specific worms. There is no “one dewormer treats all”.

I deworm orally. It’s really easy but I have my oldest daughter hold the chicken so I can open their beak and squirt the liquid in. Unless it’s Corid, then I put it in the drinking water. Your vet should be able to advise which dewormer(s) to use.

Back
Top Bottom