3 1/2 Week Old Chick Gasping

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
I hatched my Ameri-Flower, Americium, a few weeks ago. He has three other hatch mates who don't seem to gasp. I noticed it a few days ago(the gasping), and decided I would monitor it since he was still eating and drinking.

Now since I am holding him, I notice he will open his beak and gasp a few times like every five minutes. His crop is empty too. He is not lethargic, he is peeping and walking around.

So what should I do?

I would get some SaveAChick or poultry vitamins and electrolytes, and start trying to get him to drink (try a dropper if needed or dip his beak.) He may have some problem such as a heart or other condition, but I would look to see that you don't have any wet moldy areas in your brooder. Aspergillosis, or brooder pneumonia is common if there is mold. Also, he could have another type of respiratory disease. If you feel that he may need an antibiotic, oxytetracycline and Tylan are commonly used as well as SpecLinx or LS50 powder for the water.

I would get some SaveAChick or poultry vitamins and electrolytes, and start trying to get him to drink (try a dropper if needed or dip his beak.) He may have some problem such as a heart or other condition, but I would look to see that you don't have any wet moldy areas in your brooder. Aspergillosis, or brooder pneumonia is common if there is mold. Also, he could have another type of respiratory disease. If you feel that he may need an antibiotic, oxytetracycline and Tylan are commonly used as well as SpecLinx or LS50 powder for the water.

Okay, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom