3 1/2 week old chicks are eating black rooster

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I use a gamebird feed called Black Rooster as a scratch for my chickens. They love it and it's much healthier for them than plain ol' chopped corn.

The ingredients are listed here: http://www.bigvfeeds.com/images/E0184101/3GameBirdFeeds.pdf

(Towards
the bottom of the page. Sorry it won't let me cut and paste).

I worry about them eating it, but my other choice is to switch to the corn scratch, which my adult birds really don't need weight-wise or not feed scratch at all.

Mama hens are encouraging them to eat the black rooster. I know they are getting plenty of grit, since they are free ranging with the flocks.

None of the chicks are having any type of crop problem. All are growing well.

I'm thinking I should just go with the flow and let them eat it?
idunno.gif

I was encouraged to use gamebird feed from day one..they started on the gamebird starter..they are doing very well on it. I could see the difference in the protein use after the first week..I would see pics of other chicks one week old and mine looked like 2 weeks old due to size and feather growth. They are now almost 4 weeks old and my rooster stands like 8-9" high..no, I am not kidding. The price difference for me is only like $2 on 50lb..so they will be staying on gamebird feed.

Quote:
are you mixing it in with their reg. feed?

Nope, just tossing it out as scratch. Small amounts for the entire flock to share.

Black Rooster is not like crumbles or regular chicken feed. It has some pellets, but also grains and seeds, some chopped corn and BOSS.

Quote:
are you mixing it in with their reg. feed?

Nope, just tossing it out as scratch. Small amounts for the entire flock to share.

Black Rooster is not like crumbles or regular chicken feed. It has some pellets, but also grains and seeds, some chopped corn and BOSS.

I read what was in it and am thinking I might want to try it for my flock although the scratch that I get is called 7 way so I will compare before I buy but thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom