3/4 y.o. Chicken with swollen hard belly, bow legged wide stance.

ChickenPresence

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Arnold, MD
Hello and thank you! Asking for a friend here who has a sick girl. She has been healthy and laying but yesterday was found to be lethargic, labored breathing, standing wide with a swollen hard belly. Watery dark green poops but explosive and loose today. Tail up wings down.
She was given a warm epsom salt bath and examined manually for bound eggs with no luck. Owner does not know when she last laid. She uses pine shavings for bedding.
No blood seen.

Thank you!
Malinda

Attachments

• 70839679937__BB67C424-34E1-437A-96AD-031593EF6235.jpeg
    70839679937__BB67C424-34E1-437A-96AD-031593EF6235.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 60
Her tail is down in the picture. It sounds like she is possibly egg bound, or has salpingitis where there is lash egg material in her abdomen. She may have a lash egg stuck as well. I would recommend giving a human calcium citrate 600 mg tablet with vitamin d orally, to see if it helps her pass an egg. Offer fluids and food. Place her in a fairly warm humid spot on bedding or a blanket to see if she will lay.

Her tail is down in the picture. It sounds like she is possibly egg bound, or has salpingitis where there is lash egg material in her abdomen. She may have a lash egg stuck as well. I would recommend giving a human calcium citrate 600 mg tablet with vitamin d orally, to see if it helps her pass an egg. Offer fluids and food. Place her in a fairly warm humid spot on bedding or a blanket to see if she will lay.
Much appreciate! I will update:)

Back
Top Bottom