3-5 day old chick is lethargic, wont eat/drink, barely moves around

Blessedmamaof3

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Pomona, KS (eastern ks)
I purchased 4 bantam chicks from the feed store yesterday. I noticed one that wasn't moving around much or opening eyes for more than a couple seconds. She can walk, though a little wobbly, but she basically just sits or stands in one place. She has no interest in food or water and will sometimes lift her head high and stumble backwards. She is in a brooder with the other 3 bantams so plenty of space, pine shaving floor and temp is 99 degrees. I have tried offering sugar water, raw egg yolk, boiled egg yolk mixed with acv water, tiny scrambled eggs, and have also tried an electrolyte/probiotic water solution from savachick. She usually won't open her mouth to any of it and will just let everything roll off her beak. I have force fed some electrolyte solution with a syringe and dropper. I separated her for a while on a paper towel to better see if she is pooping and what it looks like. One was long greenish, the next two were black and sticky. My questions...
1. Any ideas on what is wrong
2. Should I separate her
3. Any treatment ideas
4. How often should I force feed/ water her
Thank you
20210416_205344.jpg
20210416_205350.jpg
20210416_205530.jpg
20210416_205942.jpg

The photo tells us this chick is very weak, and may be a failure-to-thrive victim. If the chick has genetic defects, undeveloped organs, inability to utilize calories and nutrients, it probably won't survive. But you can try to save it.

The single best treatment is sugar water, warmed, every hour until you go to bed tonight. Use a Q-tip dipped in the water and drip it onto the side of the beak. It should suck it in. If you have an eye dropper, pry open the beak and drip water just inside the right side where the esophagus is located. The chick has to close its beak to swallow. It's a laborious process, but it's the only thing that will keep it hydrated and elevate its glucose and give it strength enough to want to eat.

The photo tells us this chick is very weak, and may be a failure-to-thrive victim. If the chick has genetic defects, undeveloped organs, inability to utilize calories and nutrients, it probably won't survive. But you can try to save it.

The single best treatment is sugar water, warmed, every hour until you go to bed tonight. Use a Q-tip dipped in the water and drip it onto the side of the beak. It should suck it in. If you have an eye dropper, pry open the beak and drip water just inside the right side where the esophagus is located. The chick has to close its beak to swallow. It's a laborious process, but it's the only thing that will keep it hydrated and elevate its glucose and give it strength enough to want to eat.
Thank you for the reply. So no need to necessarily separate it?

Back
Top Bottom