3-5 day old chicks with lice/mites...what can I use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augustmomx2, Sep 7, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I just purchased 5 golden-laced bantam cochins this morning [​IMG] I got them all set-up in the brooder and while admiring them, noticed some yellow/cream-colored insects going in and out of their fluff [​IMG]

So, what can I use to get rid of them? I have both DE & Sevin-dust here @ the house, or should I get something else? This is my first experience with lice/mites and I can't stop itching...

TIA!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

For the wee ones I'd try the DE first. [​IMG]

3. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    I have no experience with those you mentioned but I know people have used diluted Ivermectin. (For dripping between wings) If not diluted it can cause skin problems.

If those you've got are pesticides you might as well try them.

Good Luck with the chickens [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I use DE FLEA pet shampoo or spray on my chickens. I have never used it on chicks, but according to my vet this product is safe for chickens.

5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I just sprinkled them liberally with some DE...lets hope it works [​IMG]

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Make sure to work it down into their skin..... [​IMG] They'll look like little dust bunnies..... [​IMG]

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by