Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CluckOleHen101

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2018
BBF3D120-123D-468C-8A3D-9DCF60217757.jpeg
Hi all!

First post :)

I have a 3.5 week old Cochin Bantam who looks like (s)he is showing signs of an early wattle. Is this normal for the breed or do I definitely have a rooster?

This little guy is the most chill of the bunch (snuggly, social) so I would be SHOCKED, but I’m new to raising chicks and probably just seeing what I want to see!

Hoping it’s just a really fabulous hen accessory :)

I'd say boy at this very early stage. All my bantam cochin (pekins in my country) boys were super friendly but we couldn't keep them. The girls didn't start growing wattles until 10-12 weeks old. By 6 weeks you'll know for sure as the cockerels will have huge combs and wattles. Mine were crowing at 6 weeks too!

View attachment 1333941 Hi all!

First post :)

I have a 3.5 week old Cochin Bantam who looks like (s)he is showing signs of an early wattle. Is this normal for the breed or do I definitely have a rooster?

This little guy is the most chill of the bunch (snuggly, social) so I would be SHOCKED, but I’m new to raising chicks and probably just seeing what I want to see!

Hoping it’s just a really fabulous hen accessory :)
Slow feathering for age and bright wattle &comb at this age..... you've got a little cockerel

I'd say boy at this very early stage. All my bantam cochin (pekins in my country) boys were super friendly but we couldn't keep them. The girls didn't start growing wattles until 10-12 weeks old. By 6 weeks you'll know for sure as the cockerels will have huge combs and wattles. Mine were crowing at 6 weeks too!

Thank you for the info!

Did you keep any of your boys? Did they stay friendly and mellow?

There's an awful lot of redness to the comb and wattles. Plus, I noticed a bit of a cockerel stance to him, so I'm leaning towards cockerel.

Some boys will be naturally aggressive, but some can be real sweethearts. I've had roosters who were violent towards me, but I've also had roosters that loved me and were great flock protectors. Cochin is a fairly mild-tempered breed, so he could be a sweet boy.

There's an awful lot of redness to the comb and wattles. Plus, I noticed a bit of a cockerel stance to him, so I'm leaning towards cockerel.

Some boys will be naturally aggressive, but some can be real sweethearts. I've had roosters who were violent towards me, but I've also had roosters that loved me and were great flock protectors. Cochin is a fairly mild-tempered breed, so he could be a sweet boy.

Oh, that’s so good to hear. I sure hope (s)he stays as sweet as they are now. Seriously, will fall asleep on my arm, in my hands, on my tum. Kills me every time.

Thank you for the info!

Did you keep any of your boys? Did they stay friendly and mellow?

We aren't allowed roosters so they had to go back to the breeder (and all the frizzle ones were boys - we so wanted a frizzle) so I can't advise you about their temperament when older but I think in general they are sweet little things.

Back
Top Bottom