3 angry roosters

angryroosters

Hatching
Aug 14, 2016
Hi guys. I am a new member.
I have 3 roosters and they are now 7 months old and recently they have started to show aggresive behaviour, they fight continuously and bruise eachothers crown. I am very worried. How do I tackle this? Are they ready to mate?

Hi, and
welcome-byc.gif
I hope somebody has some useful help for you! xxx
gig.gif

Greetings from kansas, angryroosters, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us! At 7 months they are more than ready to mate. They've been ready for some time. The fights are for breeding dominance. You didn't say how many hens you had, but 8-10 hens per rooster is a pretty good ratio. So unless you have a couple dozen hens or more, fights will be frequent. My biggest fear would not be what the roosters are doing to each other in their fights, but for the hens getting repeatedly bred. They start to get pretty roughed up from repeated daily matings from multiple roosters. If your ratio is out of proportion you may be dealing with a rooster surplus that you will need to address. Good luck to you! :)

Welcome to BYC!! You can hover over Forum (up at the very top of this page) then go and hover over Raising BackYard Chickens then click on Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying. You can post your question there and I am sure you will get good answers! Do your roosters have any hens with them? If so, how many? I have about 25 hens and 9 roosters. My roosters are constantly beating up on each other and blooding each other up! If they are 7 months old, they have reached sexual maturity, which always makes them fight alot.

You either need to rehome a couple roosters or add more hens, so each can have a flock of 10. A lot of aggressive roosters also take out their hostility on their owners.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Sounds like you have your hands full - for what its worth, I get rid of two of the roos - we all do things differently however, and of course it depends on your goals / objectives.

Best wishes
CT

frow.gif

I'm personally thinking...sell, or place a couple, only keep one...or, you will have to separate them with the hens you want to breed them with. They just aren't going to get along..unless separated.

Back
Top Bottom