3 Broody hens. . . and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BLaBauve, Jun 11, 2011.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I had a BLRW hatch 4 chicks last week. Today, I have a Silver Sussex hatching 7 or 8. Next week 12 more are due under a Light Brahma. I have had lots of hens go broody and hatch chicks, and they even raise them in our flock. BUT, I've never had 3 broodies at one time with babies. I know all the possible things that can go wrong, and will intervene and take the chicks if that happens - BUT, does anyone have a any success stories? I'd love for all the chicks to be raised within in the flock. I do plan on thinning out some of the chicks, but would like each Mom to raise a few if possible.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've seen lots of stories here about hens co-mothering chicks. Hopefully some of them will post for you.

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I've had 3 broody's at once. All just a week , to a few weeks apart. One had 4, one had 5, and one had 7. No problems whatsoever! Mama's know who's are who's.
    I try NOT to intervene with broody's at all. Chickens have been hatching chickens MUCH longer than humans have been hatching chickens. AND chickens know how to be chickens better than humans know how to be chickens [​IMG]
    Broody mama's are a clear case of "mama knows best"

4. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks! I'm hopeful they'll figure it out and won't fight over chicks!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. My multiple broodies have done fine together in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by