3 Chickens dead in one week?

Jynnx5643

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
I'm here to see if this is something I should be concerned about or if I'm doing all I can. During this week I have had 3 chickens die and I can't find the reasons why but I think from inspecting them I can sort of tell but I want to make sure since I'm new to all of this.

The first chicken is from a free range flock of 7 chickens (1 rooster and 6 hens) we inherited them from buying this house and the old owners told us the hens were pretty old (about 3 years or so) shes been getting kind of slow and we usually had to wait for her when we called. We dont know if the age given to us was accurate but she seemed to be a little older. Other than that she was eating fine and drinking fine, they get a lot of table scraps mostly fresh veggies. She has been spending a lot of time unde rour porch in the shade since its been hot.

The second chicken is from our new chicks that our about 18 weeks old now. He was one of those free chickens you get when you order from a mail in hatchery. He was a polish breed and for some reason he just got picked on a lot. From when he was a chick it came in waves but one of the rhode island red's was pecking on the top of his 'bald spot area' and so I applied some antibacterial and kept him separate and when he healed I put him back in and made sure all of the chicks had activities and new stuff to keep them occupied. This worked fine and he stopped getting attacked. But then out of nowhere I found him earlier this week dead in the coop, with an impressive wound on top of his head that was definitely new. I dont know who did it or how it happened but I had no time to react to separate him, he was alive in the morning and by mid afternoon he was lying on the ground.

The third one is from that same flock, its a random barred rock. My husband said he saw one of the barred rocks lying down and looked a little slow the other day but when I checked they all looked fine, and he ended up agreeing with me. We've been watching this flock closely because of the polish we lost because we want to know who was picking on him if possible. This barred rock looks fine, no marks, no wounds, no anything. I don't get it.

I should add that it has been hot lately as I know this can be a factor sometimes. But we do live up north so it hasnt been crazy hot, just hot for up here. Mostly 70-80 degrees with the occasional 90 degree day. The coop is a mobile coop that is moved everyday to new grass. There is no diarrhea, no swelling on any of the chickens, their combs are red looking and their eyes are clear, I dont see any mucus or pus or anything. They have a huge 5 gallon bucket of clean, covered water that I check and fill twice a day, I feed them a heaping scoop of grower feed twice a day and give them the occasional fresh veggie or mealworms for a treat but I haven not done that this week. Am I doing anything wrong here? I just want to make sure because If I am I want to make sure I change it quick. I cant help but be sad over the chickens I've lost, I want to make sure I'm doing right by them. Thanks!

Questions I'm asking if I wasn't clear or you need a tldr.

1. Could my chickens have a disease?

2. Is the bully chicken going to be a huge problem that I need to figure it out? Is it just going to keep murdering chickens??

3. Should I be concerned or looking out for any types of behavior or signs that are 'red flags' for bullying or diseases?

thanks again

I’m not sure what to tell you, sorry. I would like to mention for the Polish, that many of them have vaulted skulls. This means the brain may be more vulnerable and exposed due to deformities in the skull (they are sometimes intentionally bred this way to have an extra poofy crest). Therefore a hard peck to the top of the head potentially could have, essentially, cracked the skull and damaged the brain.

Thanks for your info. I didn't know that about polish but I'm glad I do now. Knowledge is power and all of that. I also know its not an easy answer because you'd probably have to literally see them to be able to give advice one way or the other, which is why I gave as much info as I could on them. Regardless, thank you. I just hope it's not something I'm doing or not doing. I don't want them suffering because of any ignorance on my part. What I can say is despite this, I have really grown attached to these birds, they constantly make me giggle with their antics and weird chicken behavior. I'm so glad I've gotten to raise them and learn from them.

Sorry for your loss. Could a hawk get to the polish to cause a head injury, or is the moveable coop covered? I would check your feed and any treats for mold, a green color, or a funny odor. Mold poisoning can be deadly, and feed can change overnight if any rain drops or condensation forms inside the feeder. Are they getting enough feed at all times of the day to make sure that each one has an opportunity to eat as much as they want? If you lose another of an unkown cause I would recommend getting a necropsy done by your state vet. Keep the body cold in a cooler, but do not freeze. Look over your hens for any lice or mites. Consider worming them with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Hi there, my coop is completely shaded and covered, and it is surrounded by a solar electric fence which tests at 8k volts. I am 110% sure nothing got to him other than the other chickens. The feed is actually kept in a dry tote in our air conditioned home. We have no pests in our home and it is air tight so nothing can get in even if we did. I have been feeding them twice a day but can certainly go to free feeding if it's better. I will also keep a close eye and take the actions you suggested if anything else happens. Thank you!

Intestinal parasites can kill "quickly". I put that in quotes because chickens naturally have intestinal parasites, but if they increase in number beyond what the chicken can naturally manage (what is normal), it can kill a bird in a matter of days.

We had this happen to us quite unexpectedly a year or so ago. The first chicken showed no signs of a problem one hour from dusk, but then didn't go in the coop (we head count EVERY night before calling the run/coop closed for the day), and when we found her she was so weak, she could barely move. I scooped her up, brought her to the house, and she died in my hands minutes later.

We had a few more "emergencies" over the next few days and a vet visit in the mix, it took three hens dying before we figured out the cause: WORMS! We nearly lost a 4th, but treated her in time to save her life. Worms are not usually a problem until they're a problem. To combat worm troubles, we mix Diatmaceous Earth (DM) with our feed now to keep worms at bay in their digestive tracts. We also use DM in their bedding, around their feeding areas, and in the places where they like to take dust baths.

We also randomly treat the entire flock with an oral de-worming medication as a preventative measure, alternating the medication as some meds kill some types of worms, while others kill different worms. About once every two months, ALL our chickens get treated with a de-wormer. Two months later, they get treated with the alternate de-wormer. We've had no troubles with worms since...

Last edited:
I am sorry - three in a row is rough.
It doesn’t sound like you have an issue other than bad luck. Older hens can have health issues and if she has been slow for a while, she probably has been ailing with something. Polish are tricky because their weird head dress makes them a target for pecking and at the same time the vaulted skull makes them more vulnerable.
And the Barred Rock... I would keep an eye on the others. Could be cocci or a bunch of other things but also possible it was just something internal that went wrong for her. I has a BR look great one minute, and dead in a corner 20 min later (not saying BRs are problematic, it just happened to be a BR as well). If you spot any other chickens acting different, feed consumption drops, etc. you probably have an illness/pest/mold issue. So I’d be vigilant, but wouldn’t assume anything is wrong quite yet.
Keeping my fingers crossed that you can stop burying chickens for a while!

Back
Top Bottom