3 day old chick not putting weight on 1 leg.

NewBeeChickGurl

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
Please help. Splayed legs? Something else? I tried to tie the legs together but then she just plops over and doesn't use either leg. She could be scared since I just took her from mama hen.

She may have injured the leg, or it could be a slipped tendon. I would try chick vitamins that contain riboflavin (b2) or use human B complex daily. It is safe for the hen as well. It might be better if she can learn to get around without splinting. Hopefully, she will survive. Does the hen have any other chicks, and have you seen anyone picking on her?

From the way she moves in the video, it doesn't look like splay leg to me. Does the leg bend normally at the joint? Is there any swelling? If this is new and she had normal use of her leg previously, I'd be looking to rule out slipped tendon.
The leg looks fine to me.... but idk. I guess I'm no expert in assessing a chicken's leg. I realized I couldn't do much for her atm so for now I put her back with mama. Thanks for your response. She hobbles around fine and runs w the rest of the group (5 other chicks in which one just hatched last night).

She may have injured the leg, or it could be a slipped tendon. I would try chick vitamins that contain riboflavin (b2) or use human B complex daily. It is safe for the hen as well. It might be better if she can learn to get around without splinting. Hopefully, she will survive. Does the hen have any other chicks, and have you seen anyone picking on her?
Yeah she may have injured it. I don't see anyone picking on her. She is growing fine w the rest of them. The other 2 (1 yesterday and 1 today) are smaller but they seen to be doing ok also. Thansk for responding.

Back
Top Bottom