3-day old goose

GoodCheerJoy

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
How do I know if my goose is eating enough? Does not like starter food Dumor 20% chick starter grower. Is eating scrambled eggs. Does not like nutritional yeast sprinkled on it but was eating it anyway last night a few pecks from my hand. I think it was hungry. It did not absorb all of its yolk sack, so I'm worried what does one goose eat so early in life?

What happened to the yolk if it didn’t absorb?have you tried moistening the feed with warm water?
The gosling was very tightly shrink-wrapped in its shell and could only move its head. Sadly, the other 2 did not make it. When I realized they were gone, I went to delivering this little guy. When it delivered, there was an umbilical cord and a wad of yolk. I am encouraged because I just saw poop in his bin, so something is getting through. He is 2-1/2 days old exactly. I never see him take interest in his water. I will try softening the pellets in water. It is so confusing what to do the first couple/few days.

So the little yolk that was on the outside was absorbed? just trying to figure out what exactly happened. The yolk has now absorbed? if so they can go 2-3 days before they are hungry because they are living off that yolk. And encouraging them by wetting the feed with some warm water and putting it on your finger hopefully will get the little one interested in eating. You'll have to teach him to eat and drink just like mama goose would do. dip his bill into warmish water and add some electrolytes to the water for a boost. Or Poultry Nutri drench
How is the little gosling today?

Back
Top Bottom