We adopted a goose with torticolis and need guidance.

Nicolenarekian

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hello,
We adopted a goose with torticolis around 6 weeks old that nobody wanted to care for. It was injured had a limp neck and could not walk from a roadway accident. We were giving her chick starter ( non medicated) until the gosling starter arrived ~ 2weeks later. During the interim her neck began twisting and she had muscle spasms in her legs. She must be fed ( filter feeding) by hand usually every hour. The feed has 35mg/lb and since there was no improvement with her neck a month later, (180 degree loop in her neck) we started giving her human niacin as of today. Is the recommended 66mg/ day in addition to that already in her food? She usually eats a cup of food so niacin Contribution is minimal~17mg/day. We tried brewers yeast but mixed with the water/ food mix. It just made her froth at the mouth and choke.

Thanks for your help

Torticolis is commonly caused by a thiamine deficiency or a vitamin E deficiency.
Usually if one deficiency is present there are multiple vitamin and nutrient deficiencies however.

Definitely follow @Jenbirdee ’s advice and get the vitamin B complex but ALSO get a liquid multivitamin that contains vitamin E as soon as possible!
Rooster booster poultry cell is a good option.

Also get a 6 ml or 12 ml syringes. Smaller syringes are trickier to use with larger birds.

Torticolis is commonly caused by a thiamine deficiency or a vitamin E deficiency.
Usually if one deficiency is present there are multiple vitamin and nutrient deficiencies however.

Definitely follow @Jenbirdee ’s advice and get the vitamin B complex but ALSO get a liquid multivitamin that contains vitamin E as soon as possible!
Rooster booster poultry cell is a good option.

Also get a 6 ml or 12 ml syringes. Smaller syringes are trickier to use with larger birds.
Thanks so much, do you know correct disage if vit E? Ive seen 25mcg- 450 iu. Do you think I will see results in ~10 days?

81WpdivmHbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81xMUyH3lNL._AC_SL1293_.jpg

Thanks so much, do you know correct disage if vit E? Ive seen 25mcg- 450 iu. Do you think I will see results in ~10 days?
Those are different dosage amounts, 1 400iu is a typical vitamin E capsule. 25mcg would be about 1000iu which would be more powerful in it’s effect.
Do you have a scale to weigh the gosling?

You can get vitamin E separately which would be much more effective than rooster booster poultry cell, but I still suggest getting the poultry cell if there’s any other deficiency present and giving it simultaneously with Vitamin E and The B complex.

Unfortunately I can’t say if it will work in 10 days. It might, it could be sooner, it could be longer. Ultimately it depends on the severity of the deficiency and the gosling’s ability to recover.

Back
Top Bottom