3 day old RIR aggressive, might be a roo?

NLmountaineer

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Greenville, NY
Hi, I purchased 12 baby chicks 3 days ago when they were 1 day old. I chose 2 white rocks, 2 jersey giants, 2 NHR, 2 RIR, and 4 easter eggers. We noticed from day 1 that Rita was a trouble maker. She was trying to look for a way out of the box right away and chirped the loudest and ran after the other chicks. At day 3 (yesterday) Rita was going around biting all of the other chicks toes and feet. Chicks were not even near her, she would just run up to all of them and start pecking their toes. And then started getting very territorial and as soon as she got to a new spot or corner in the box she would scratch her feet on the spot like she was marking her territory. I'm thinking she could possible be a rooster? My other 11 chicks are so delightful and peaceful I hate to see this chick bother the other ones. Can I have some opinions?

Out of our new babies, we had one that was a bully too - it was a speckled sussex and she would go around pecking everyone's beaks and toes. She would grab onto the toes and drag the other chicks across the brooder. Mean little thing! We had a bucket set up next to the brooder and if we saw her going at other relentlessly, we would take her out and put her in a "time-out" for a minute or two. It would usually at least break up her rampage for the moment. She was doing this from day 1 and by day 3 or so, she had outgrown it and we never had any more issues - she's just as calm as the rest.

I've seen this a lot over the years.
After contemplation, I'm gonna say it was always a female chick that displayed this behavior.

Thank you! We also put our Rita on a time out last night, and she stopped bothering the other chicks. I will see howa she's acting today when I get home from work. Maybe she is just claiming her pecking order?

Back
Top Bottom