The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
I got these chicks at a poultry show raffle there about 3-4 weeks old
I was told one is an olive egger, one is a black copper marans, and one is an unknown breed
all of them are unsexed

Chick 1.
IMG_7813.jpeg

Non single comb, 4 toes, slightly feathered feet

Chick 2.
IMG_7816.jpeg

Single comb, 4 toes, slightly feathered feet

Chick 3.
IMG_7824.jpeg

Non single comb, clean legged, 4 toes

Photographing them in white light would help a lot. My guess is #2 is the OE based on the fluffy face (side whiskers). But #1 could be the OE and #2 could be the black copper Marans, given the coloring and feathered feet. But id #2 is BCM it shouldn't have the poofy face, so idk. Coyld #3 be a Black Australorp? What color legs? Also what color legs on 1 and 2? I'm very new to this so we won't know till the experts get here.

Photographing them in white light would help a lot. My guess is #2 is the OE based on the fluffy face (side whiskers). But #1 could be the OE and #2 could be the black copper Marans, given the coloring and feathered feet. But id #2 is BCM it shouldn't have the poofy face, so idk. Coyld #3 be a Black Australorp? What color legs? Also what color legs on 1 and 2? I'm very new to this so we won't know till the experts get here.
Thanks for the reply :)
chick 1. Has light pink legs
Chicks 2 and 3 have dark slate legs
I’ll see if I can get some better pictures

Black feathers and pink feet say Australorp somewhere in the mix. Rules out Jersey Giants - no yellow soles.

A BCM would more likely have feathered feet and they'll have a bigger comb, no matter what gender, as they- to me- always look just a bit 'suspect cockerel' as development.

An Olive Egger- depending on the breeder or the poultry keeper it came from- is sort of a catch all and this could mean it might your chick is a blended variety. It is likely the lightest one, looks like it had a common red mom to me.

Too soon for me to make guesses on genders, but nobody 'screams' cockerel' yet.

They are very cute.

Updated pictures

Attachments

• IMG_7972.jpeg
    IMG_7972.jpeg
    687.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7968.jpeg
    IMG_7968.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7967.jpeg
    IMG_7967.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7966.jpeg
    IMG_7966.jpeg
    699.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7965.jpeg
    IMG_7965.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7964.jpeg
    IMG_7964.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7963.jpeg
    IMG_7963.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7962.jpeg
    IMG_7962.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7961.jpeg
    IMG_7961.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 18
If any of your group lean cockerel, it's the last one- but even that I wouldn't call yet. :confused:

Sure- they could have Australorp! They are such sweet chickens. ☺️

Perhaps, by now, if you have a sneaky cockerel in there, the behavior might be peaking.

Is anybody tid-biting? That tell was one of the first, even in some of mine who didn't crow or act like they wanted to 😆

Looks like you have a handsome fella right there- on the other side... I'd ask him. Does he dance for his ladies? Is he one you are able to handle easy?

I had a roo that knew which chicks would be the challengers and who'd be his flock- and at a certain age, I could put him with them- one by one- and he'd 'tell' me

He'd approach em all very carefully- then- with the pullets- he'd become indifferent. With the cockerels, he'd give a little chase. :lau

And it didn't matter what they'd do. Stand there. Run. Try to walk up to him. Try to hide. It didn't matter to him. He was pretty consistent. He was also 100% accurate :woot

Looking back, I can see how it could have gone wrong - but... he was used to seeing them and he was very handled. 😆 I didn't do it when my chicks were tiny or anything- lol. (No regrets) But I guess I can't say I'd say that'd be for everyone.

Anyhow 😆 Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom