3 day old sick chick video please advise.

gabtrac

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
Pacific NorthWest.
Hi, and thanks for taking the time. I have just posted a video in the gallery of our new chick who has been opening and closing its mouth continuously. It seems tired but mostly alert, eating/drinking very little. We've isolated it and have began feeding Poul Vite (vitamin powder) enhanced water through a syringe. All day yesterday the opening and closing was accompanied by a "squeaky toy" sound (not regular chirping), slightly raspy. Is there anything more we can/should do?
ps: I'm not sure how to link this post to the Gallery Video, so if anyone has advice on that I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

I should also mention that we thought it might have been a problem with its crop so as per other BYC discussions we fed it some coconut oil last night. Thanks.

The coconut oil won't hurt it, but the more likely problem with this chick is it's probably a failure-to-thrive (FTT) chick. This means that its lungs and respiratory system may be underdeveloped. That likely goes for its digestive system, as well. If this is the case, it may only have a small chance of surviving the week ahead.

For a FTT chick to have a chance, it requires special feedings and care. They are also very prone to pasty butt. Keep watch on that as it will stop up the entire digestive system if the poop backs up.

Feed it finely minced hard boiled egg and if it isn't drinking, you will need to syringe water by placing a drop at a time on the side of its beak. Poultry Nutri-drench can also be a big help.

Back
Top Bottom