3" Drain pipe chicken feeder. Cheaper then PVC:)

Mine is made of four inch pvc and I still had a problem with it only flowing out a little way into the feeder tube. What I did was change out the 90 to 2 45's and it flows better with not such a tight corner to go around.these feeders work well for a few chickens but if your feeding a lot of birds the feed will not push out more than a foot or so and doesn't allow many birds to feed at a time so there will be some fussing going on while some feed while others wait but they will work it out and it does save food and keep it cleaner.

There are two types of 90 degree elbows. there is a short and long. I would think that the long would be better, and maybe the 4 inch. guess you could also place your holes, or food opening as close to the end of the elbow as possible.

Thanks. I am using crumbles............but will try it with 3". Really defeats the purpose if I have to go in and pull the feed down with my finger.

Also, remember the taller the feed pipe the more pressure you get to push feed out the 90 degree:)

Mine is made of four inch pvc and I still had a problem with it only flowing out a little way into the feeder tube. What I did was change out the 90 to 2 45's and it flows better with not such a tight corner to go around.these feeders work well for a few chickens but if your feeding a lot of birds the feed will not push out more than a foot or so and doesn't allow many birds to feed at a time so there will be some fussing going on while some feed while others wait but they will work it out and it does save food and keep it cleaner.

Great idea:) I can see that working!! I will most likely let my chicks work it out but if someone has lots of chicks they need that food to flow:)

There are two types of 90 degree elbows. there is a short and long. I would think that the long would be better, and maybe the 4 inch.  guess you could also place your holes, or food opening as close to the end of the elbow as possible.

I did not know that. Thanks:)

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the holes that way they can get the feed to drop easy and I figured they will move feed around so the trough should have food spread around:)

Try to use a 45. I am going to try to post a youtube link to the modifications I made to my original PVC feeder which had 90 degree angles and wholes that were too big (the pullets were climbing into the feeder!)

Try to use a 45. I am going to try to post a youtube link to the modifications I made to my original PVC feeder which had 90 degree angles and wholes that were too big (the pullets were climbing into the feeder!)
Hey hey:) Where is the YouTube link!

I just installed my feeder pipe and made a new post here so others can commit:) Here is the link (( https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/691872/chicken-feeder-pipe-installed-in-my-coop-have-a-look ))

Have a look and tell me what you think and post your YouTube link so we can link up on there and share videos!

God Bless!!

Last edited:
I made one! No pictures but I'm sorry to say it's not working out all that well so far. I initially used the advice above to use two 45* elbows instead of one 90* one. Literally nothing was coming out, so I removed one of the elbows so that the upper part of the pipe sticks out at 45*. It's still not working out so well :(

Is it because I'm using pellets? I think crumbles would work much better but my girls like the pellets they are on. What are you using?

I made one! No pictures but I'm sorry to say it's not working out all that well so far. I initially used the advice above to use two 45* elbows instead of one 90* one. Literally nothing was coming out, so I removed one of the elbows so that the upper part of the pipe sticks out at 45*. It's still not working out so well :(
Is it because I'm using pellets? I think crumbles would work much better but my girls like the pellets they are on. What are you using?

When you say "elbows" does that mean your using 2? I really need to see a photo of what your doing because there should only be 1 elbow.

I use one 90* for mine, no 45's. I have heard that people has issues with the 45's so that is why I stuck to the 90*.

As long as the pellets are not much bigger then corn it should work fine:) Post a photo please so we can look at it:)

thank you so much for posting your idea! I just got home from Home Depot with the drain pipe / elbows and caps ... oh and glue! some guy was selling one on Ebay for 60? I can make 2 of these for less than 30! I did buy the 4" tho ... I have the elbows on them but need to cut the piece where the holes are drilled. So, a 1" hole works? Cant wait to fnish tomorrow!!!

again, thanks so much for the drain pipe idea ... soooooooooooooooooooooo much cheaper!!!

Back
Top Bottom