3 eggs a day.

sbohlar

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
Texas
I am very new to ducks and chickens. I have 2 Road Island Red hens and 1 female Runner Duck and 1 Piken Duck male (I believe he is male. He has a very small curl on one feather on his tail and I have seen him mount my runner in the pool multiple times.) I get 2 chicken eggs most every day. I cant figure out if they are from 1 chicken or one lays and the other gets up in the nest and lays hers on the other. One eggs is large and the other is small. They are brown eggs. I normally get 1 white egg from my runner, but yesterday I went out and she was laying on 3 eggs!! She has NEVER sat on her egg before. Yesterday I went out in the middle of the day and she was in the cop sitting on the eggs. 3 eggs!!!! She has 1 egg that I gathered the day before. Has anyone heard of this? I cant wait to see what I get today.

I am very new to ducks and chickens.  I have 2 Road Island Red hens and 1 female Runner Duck and 1 Piken Duck male (I believe he is male. He has a very small curl on one feather on his tail and I have seen him mount my runner in the pool multiple times.)sounds like a male to me.  I get 2 chicken eggs most every day.  I cant figure out if they are from 1 chicken or one lays and the other gets up in the nest and lays hers on the other.  it's unlikely that you're getting 2 eggs from one chicken per day.One eggs is large and the other is small.  They are brown eggs.  I normally get 1 white egg from my runner, but yesterday I went out and she was laying on 3 eggs!!  She has NEVER sat on her egg before.  Yesterday I went out in the middle of the day and she was in the cop sitting on the eggs.  3 eggs!!!!  She has 1 egg that I gathered the day before. I'm not following, did you take the egg then put it back? Has anyone heard of this?  I cant wait to see what I get today.  it sounds like she's maybe going broody. If so she'll stop laying and start sitting on those eggs 24/7

I am very new to ducks and chickens.  I have 2 Road Island Red hens and 1 female Runner Duck and 1 Piken Duck male (I believe he is male. He has a very small curl on one feather on his tail and I have seen him mount my runner in the pool multiple times.)sounds like a male to me.  I get 2 chicken eggs most every day.  I cant figure out if they are from 1 chicken or one lays and the other gets up in the nest and lays hers on the other.  it's unlikely that you're getting 2 eggs from one chicken per day.One eggs is large and the other is small.  They are brown eggs.  I normally get 1 white egg from my runner, but yesterday I went out and she was laying on 3 eggs!!  She has NEVER sat on her egg before.  Yesterday I went out in the middle of the day and she was in the cop sitting on the eggs.  3 eggs!!!!  She has 1 egg that I gathered the day before. I'm not following, did you take the egg then put it back? Has anyone heard of this?  I cant wait to see what I get today.  it sounds like she's maybe going broody. If so she'll stop laying and start sitting on those eggs 24/7

Have you been checking the nest? I have never heard of three eggs from one duck in one day. I didn't know Runners went broody, but it sounds like yours is!

It is important to know that ducklings are not to go into water when young unless they are born with the mother who gives them their natural oils. I suggest waiting until their feathers come in so they don't sink. That is if your raising them yourself.

Ducks and chickens both have been known to raise the other... we had a chicken that raised a duckling and went crazy every time it went for a swim. SO no matter waht eggs are where as long as they hatch and survive mother natures other animals, all is good.

Eggs (if incubated) need to be at a constant 99.5 degrees and only need water when they start peeping (cracking their shell) so you have to watch them daily to look for peeping. the water is so they don't get stuck in the shell due to being dry and so the new borns don't suffocate in the heat that they need, even with water you can get yourself a bottle that mists and put water in it to give them a light spray to keep them extra moist.

New born do not need food right away as their bellies are full of egg yolk, and if they have any umbilicals hanging leave them alone they will dry up.

AS for telling which duck is male/female listen to the sound they make, the females are loud and actually quack the males I guess you could say make a chirp sound.

Change bedding in brooder every 3 days the stink is mostly the food spoiling that they spill everywhere as their poop has little to no smell. of course the water in their poo and that they spill promotes the spoil as well.
If their poo is getting chunky then they are not getting enough water that is natural, but it is not actually a bad thing. ;)

Dotknott- Duckgirl77-Creek chicks-Norvell84
Thank you guys for responding. To answer some of Dotknott questions. I always take the eggs from my duck and 2 chickens and never put them back. My runner for the last 5 days has laid 2, 3, 1, 0 and 1 eggs. I take these eggs.
Norvell84
I have the Runner that is my female. She quacks. I have a Pikes that I beleave is my male. He is around 1 1/2 years old. We have had him bout 5 months. When we got him from the breader, he was supposed to be female. The reason I think he is male. No eggs, he mounted my runner in the pool multiple times but not here lately that I have seen. But the weird thing. He honks!! He is LOUD!! can't tell by the tail. His tail do not curl any more than my females.
My Runner has never shown maternal signs before. She just layer her egg wherever. She has now made a nest in the coop and lays in it.
I understand the word broody but what does it in tail? She has no eggs to lay on. I do not want babies at this time. If she stops laying will she start again? Did this happen because I have a male or would it have happened anyway. Am I doing her damage by not letting her keep her eggs?

If the breeder said female and the duck honks, it's likely female. I have never known any duck to lay multiple eggs a day, though I suppose if it's egg bound it could be possible. I'd think that in any instance the eggs would be malformed or be otherwise incomplete.

When a duck goes broody there is a hormonal change that happens. The duck stops laying and I believe her body temperature rises a bit. She'll sit on her best close to 24/7 and become very agitated 24/7. Seriously I feel like I just need to be outside for her to get upset.

Ducks incubate their eggs for 28 days so it may take a while for her to kick back into egg laying mode. If you regularly pick up the eggs, you're less likely to have a broody duck, though it's still possible.

Back
Top Bottom