3 hour old chick still dragging it's shell

chickenmamatoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
HI,

My 3 hour old chick has not dropped it's shell. The "cord" is still attched to the chick who is dragging it around in the incubator. I did give it a gentle tug and it did not come free. It is moving around in there and seems fine.

Will this hurt the chick? Should I do anything to it?

Thanks

It still looks a bit wet but it is all twisted......should I cut it?

How long does this usually take? The others dropped their shells very soon after hatching

If you clip it do it as close to the shell as you can. Watch it around the other chicks to make sure they don't pick and pull and peck it and cause a navel injury.

I did clip it but it was looking much drier......I suspect it would have fallen off on its own now.

There was no bleeding but it does look like fresh blood where it enters teh body. Iguess that i sfrom pulling around the egg. It has been in the incubator for 4 hours now and is steadyon it's feet. Should I leave it in for a few more hours and let it get fluffy as to hide it's little nubbin from the other chicks? Can I leave it in there that long? I need to leave for a meeting and am questioning what to do to protect it.

Thanks

That's a great hatch, congrats!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom