3 mo old pullet unstable and lethargic, not eating! HELP!!!!

I would start with Corid treatment for cocci, then worm her with SafeGuard or Valbazen. Corid (amprollium) dosage is 2 tsp if liquid Corid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) per gallon of water for 5 days. Dosage of SafeGuard liquid goat wormer is 1/2 ml by mouth, then repeat in 10 days. Toss eggs into garbage for 24 days. You will need to syringe or dropper feed her the medicine if she won't drink. Offer some soft scrambled egg to tempt her to eat.

So she is very spunky today. She escaped her hospital box and had me chasing her around the house for 15 minutes !!!!!!!! She rarely stumbles anymore but she still is a bit unsteady. She is eating and drinking in her own. Her poops seem okay, most are well formed and look textbook normal but some look watery. I am not sure if it is normal poop from lots of water or diarrhea. It does not look like pics of diarrhea I have seen online. Looks like greehbrown well formed poop chunk with water....

Last edited:
I would start with Corid treatment for cocci, then worm her with SafeGuard or Valbazen.  Corid (amprollium) dosage is 2 tsp if liquid Corid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) per gallon of water for 5 days.  Dosage of SafeGuard liquid goat wormer is 1/2 ml by mouth, then repeat in 10 days.  Toss eggs into garbage for 24 days.  You will need to syringe or dropper feed her the medicine if she won't drink.  Offer some soft scrambled egg to tempt her to eat.

Do you think I should still start treatment? I have been hounding her for poops lol and looking for any other signs or symptoms of cocci....

1. I would exclude your chickens from your compost bin. Moldy food can kill chickens. Yes it happened to me. :(

2. I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid.

3. I would consider deworming them after the Corid. Repeat the deworming to break the life cycle. Toss eggs/research. Wormers are off label for egglayers.

4. DE doesn't deworm them. This is a common misconception. When DE becomes wet it is ineffective I have read.

5. I hope this helps. You have received good advice in previous posts. :)

So she seemed fine up until I let her out to free range for the first time since last week. She went and had a dirt bath in our garden soil and seemed to be enjoying herself. I went inside and came back out a few minutes later and she was in a dust bath pile with two other hens and she was upside down in deep dust bath hole. I turned her over and she started shaking her head and scratching the right side of her face, maybe right ear. She was a bit unstable after that ????? What is going on? She has been fine for almost a week! I I'd not deworm or treat for coccidiosis. I just gave vit water, yogurt, vinegar in water and DE in coop, dust bath and food and she got well pretty quick. Now what? Does she have something in her ear that is bothering her and throwing off her balance? I checked and they are open and round, I can actually see pretty far in and it looks normal. There did seen to be a chunk on gunk along the edge which I removed. None of my other chicken have this gunk (small grain of rice size, dark brownish and pretty hard but still able to mold, earwax?)

I know I was given advice to treat for coccidiosis and then deworm but the pro at the feed store said to use DE and watch her, then if she continues to decline or not get better then deworm. She did get better :-/ but now she is acting unstable all of a sudden.... Everything else is normal

So she is back to her old self with just vitamins/electrolytes in water and introducing DE into their coop/dust bath/feed....

Still not sure what happened but she seems herself again! Thanks for all the advice, I really needed it whilst going crazy with chicken worry :)

Back
Top Bottom