3 month old Buff Orpington, do we have a Roo?

Pics

natr89

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
Bought 6 1-day old chicks (2 x Easter Eggers, 4 x Buff Orpingtons) from a local feed store about 3 months ago. As they are growing I am concerned one is a cockerel. Can you guys put my mind at ease?

Behavior wise they are mild and probably do less "chest bumping" than the easter eggers do. Size wise, they are almost identical in size to the other 3 Buff Orpingtons that we have.

Number 1 is the one I am "worried" about. They were the slowest to feather and their comb and waddles are just significantly more developed than the other three Buffs, but size and temperament are in line with the other chickens. Legs look to be similar thickness as well. I took a dorsal view angle pic as well in case that helps identify any potential saddle feathers.

Any help is appreciated :D

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    915 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Really? :(

These were pullets bought from a local feed store. Both of the EEs are definitely larger than the buffs, but they've shown zero signs of aggression or roo behavior that I can see. Is red on the EE an absolute guarantee at this stage?

If I really got 2 roosters from 6 I'll be pretty sad...

Really? :(

These were pullets bought from a local feed store. Both of the EEs are definitely larger than the buffs, but they've shown zero signs of aggression or roo behavior that I can see. Is red on the EE an absolute guarantee at this stage?

If I really got 2 roosters from 6 I'll be pretty sad...
They have male specific coloration and comb/wattle development. The Orp is already showing male specific saddles. I'm sorry.

Unfortunately chicks at farm stores get picked up and put into the wrong bins sometimes.

I just called the feed store and they said their hatchery they source from gives them a 98% assurance.

98% and I got 2 roo's out of 6? Seems not right to me.

I am so sad! Is there anyone that can give me optimism they still might be hens? :D Maybe a % chance?

Last one is a cockerel. However that EE still has a chance. I had two easter eggers that had that hard red on shoulders . One ended up cockerel and the other is one my best layers.

Back
Top Bottom