3 month old chick gasping for air

hankshens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
TN
I found my 3 month old hen hiding when it was time to go in the coop and she is gasping for air. She looks fine, I can just hear a weazing when she tries to breathe. I put her on roost with her friend and she got down and stood on the floor. I now have her inside and tried to give her water but she didnt want any. She was fine when she left the coop this morning. Please help.

It sounds like it might be gapeworm- a y-shaped parasite that makes it hard for them to breath. If you do a search for it here, you will get better advice than I can give you.

Maybe she's choking on something? Or got into rat poison or so?
I would check to see if she's choking. She also may just have a cold or bronchitis which can be treated.

Last edited:
OK, I ran to the store and picked up some Safe Guard wormer. How do I know if she is choking? I did do some research on Gapeworms and it says to treat with Safe Guard. It alos said that it is common in young chickens and that they get it from eating earth worms.

I dont know what just happened. I got her out to give her the wormer and she started flopping around like she was having a seizure and died in my hands. I cant quit crying.

Oh I am so sorry. We all know how you feel. Its allright to cry , just let it out. Hugs

Very sorry to hear that. It does happen sometimes. She may have been pretty far gone with just about any illness by the time she was rasping for air. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom