3 month old chicks are dying fast

I just read the article, which frankly is freaking me out. But it's totally necessary to get this info. So I thank you.
The irony is that someone else started this thread. I replied wanting to give positive support and the next day or following I'm having the same/similar issue!

Questions I have that were not addressed in the article and which I will Greatly appreciate direction with:
The 6-7 week olds (I purchased at a few days old, hatched end of march) that appear affected were just moved into an outdoor coop. Even though I just moved them out of that coop and will be treating them with corrid (tonight or first thing in the a.m. depending on when I can get freed from work , (which I do from home but still must do), to go buy the meds.
*Should I treat the adults that are in the coop the youngsters spent approx 1 week in?
* this next question is less relevant but still vexing: did the youngsters bring it into the outdoor coop or did they get it from birds in the outdoor coop who are healthy in every way (laying eggs frequently, great appetites, very active etc)?
*How should I go about the best chance of removing any residual infection in the coop they were in for that week and also where they are now located (different area)?

Thanks again for the help and support!

Would keeping chicks on medicated chick-starter prevent this? I haven't made it through my big bag of medicated food yet and after reading this am starting to think i'll keep them on it until much older.

I would treat all birds at the same time.
I'm not quite sure there is anything you can do to prevent them getting this..it just happens.
Keeping the chickens and chicks health is the best preventative....although not really a preventative..but they will have a much better chance of getting past cocci if they are healthy.
We can assume to figure out where it came from but will never really know.
Do you have a vet close by?
If you could take some poop to them they can test is for just a few dollars to confirm that it is cocci....or worms...or what ever...it's easy, cheap and guaranteed to let you now for sure....

Would keeping chicks on medicated chick-starter prevent this? I haven't made it through my big bag of medicated food yet and after reading this am starting to think i'll keep them on it until much older.
Not so....they can still get it.
And if they do it will not cure it.
Not everyone deals with this...but it does happen. Just keep a close eye on them...and their poop.

Medicated chick started is not really "medicine"

Back
Top Bottom