Lost 3 already and 4th one maybe

Harleyman422

Hatching
Jan 1, 2024
I have lost 3 laying hens that are about 1 year old and not sure what is killing them. I have a fourth one acting like the other three did prior to dying. They start out by not going onto their roosting board at night and just lay in bottom of the coop. Then a day or so later they have one eye that is closed and they are acting a little lethargic. I am currently medicating with Corid and separating the sick one as soon as I notice the change. I have used bleach to clean. The coop and everything common to them. Any ideas what I am dealing with and what I should do to prevent losing all my chickens?

I have lost 3 laying hens that are about 1 year old and not sure what is killing them. I have a fourth one acting like the other three did prior to dying. They start out by not going onto their roosting board at night and just lay in bottom of the coop. Then a day or so later they have one eye that is closed and they are acting a little lethargic. I am currently medicating with Corid and separating the sick one as soon as I notice the change. I have used bleach to clean. The coop and everything common to them. Any ideas what I am dealing with and what I should do to prevent losing all my chickens?
@Wyorp Rock

They are on Dumor layer pellets 16% layer feed and I supplement oyster shells and as a treat they get producers pride cracked grain annd black oil sunflower seeds and I feed watermelon and apples from time to time about once or twice a week. They start out by not going onto roosting bar and seem a little lethargic but eat and scratch and drink fine and are laying eggs still. Then one eye closes with their eyelid closed all the time and they are even more lethargic. After a couple of days like this they stop eating and just lay down until they die. No other real symptoms that I see.

They are on Dumor layer pellets 16% layer feed and I supplement oyster shells and as a treat they get producers pride cracked grain annd black oil sunflower seeds and I feed watermelon and apples from time to time about once or twice a week. They start out by not going onto roosting bar and seem a little lethargic but eat and scratch and drink fine and are laying eggs still. Then one eye closes with their eyelid closed all the time and they are even more lethargic. After a couple of days like this they stop eating and just lay down until they die. No other real symptoms that I see.
Welcome To BYC

Are the hens new to you? How long have you had them?

What is the timeline of losing the 3, are you seeing them all within a week or so of one another or has this been going on for a good while?

Corid won't hurt them, but it's not an antibiotic, it's a Coccidiostat to treat Coccidiosis.

All of them have had the same symptoms - one eye closed all the time, lethargy, etc. Same side for the eye for each of them?

Marek's disease comes to mind, but without testing, it's hard to know. If you lose the one that is unwell now, it would be a good idea to refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for analysis, so you know what you're dealing with. The info you get will tell you whether there's treatment options or changes that can be made. You can find your State Lab Here.

Photos of the hens and their poop may be helpful.

Any chance your feed has gotten moldy, look for clumps in the bag or if there's spilled feed look for signs of mold. Do they free range/forage? Do you have a compost?

For the sick one now. Look her over for any signs of injury, lice/mites, check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Work on hydration, if she's unable to get to food/water herself, then hand feed/water her or syringe/tube feed her.

Since you are giving Corid and shouldn't give extra supplements/vitamins containing B1(Thiamine) during treatment, wait until treatment is finished, then begin giving vitamins. Poultry Cell direct dose 1cc per 3pounds of weight would be good.

I have had them about 4 months. The first one died about two months ago and I seem to be losing them monthly. I do not have a compost pile. They did not get out of their pen when the first two died. The last one and with the one that is sick now I have been letting them out and into my yard area which is about an acre. I believe all of them had their right eye closed. I don’t see lice or mites but I have been adding diatomaceous earth in their run area for dusting and they use it from time to time.

IMG_1909.jpeg

I have had them about 4 months. The first one died about two months ago and I seem to be losing them monthly. I do not have a compost pile. They did not get out of their pen when the first two died. The last one and with the one that is sick now I have been letting them out and into my yard area which is about an acre. I believe all of them had their right eye closed. I don’t see lice or mites but I have been adding diatomaceous earth in their run area for dusting and they use it from time to time.

What antibiotics would be best to try and where can I get it?
Hard to know what's causing their decline. Did you have an existing flock that you introduced these to and are all of those healthy and thriving?

Testing is the best way to find out what's happening, but if you want to try an antibiotic, then something like Amoxicillin would be your best bet. What you describe may be viral like Marek's disease for which there's no real treatment and antibiotics will not help.

Back
Top Bottom