3 month old female goose having trouble standing/walking

So today Frosty is not looking as good. She wouldn't get up when I went in the stall but the problem didn't seem to be walking but rather lethargy. Once I got her up - she walked fine. She just had no oomph or personality. :( Also noticed her fecal material had like very dark green staining - almost like dye in it. Wondering if that could be from the Newcell Vitamin shot or the other drugs? Feeling pretty worried.

So today Frosty is not looking as good. She wouldn't get up when I went in the stall but the problem didn't seem to be walking but rather lethargy. Once I got her up - she walked fine. She just had no oomph or personality. :( Also noticed her fecal material had like very dark green staining - almost like dye in it. Wondering if that could be from the Newcell Vitamin shot or the other drugs? Feeling pretty worried.
Have you been giving her any greens? they can make poop greenish looking. Might want to check with the vet and see what they say if it could be from the Newcell. Does she have any company during the day? They just don't do well left alone for long periods of time. Add grit if you aren't already and get her some greens, chopped romaine or chopped collards. kale .mustards and sprinkle over her water. Geese love greens and we have absolutely nothing green right now so I try and get them greens a couple times a week. But she'll need grit to be able to "chew" it.

I give her alfalfa on occasion and she turned her nose up at lettuce. I don't think she had access to any green to cause the dark green poop. Unfortunately - she is a very special case and has no company as the horse barn owner is doing me a big favor letting me keep her there til its warm enough to take her home as she was house raised.

I give her alfalfa on occasion and she turned her nose up at lettuce. I don't think she had access to any green to cause the dark green poop. Unfortunately - she is a very special case and has no company as the horse barn owner is doing me a big favor letting me keep her there til its warm enough to take her home as she was house raised.
A solitary goose is likely to be very sad.

I don´t get the bit about her being in a barn. do you not have an area in your yard with a kennel for her where you can keep an eye on her? I know you said she was house-raised, but geese are very well insulated (not so much the sebastopols) in general.

A healthy goose, eating naturally (grass) will have dark green - black poop. She probably managed to find some somewhere.

If she doesn´t like lettuce, there´s a whole load of stuff to try. What about romaine? It has more goodnes than normal lettuce. Mine love watercress, too. Watermelon they usually love, also mangoes and other fruits, but greens are so important for them. Hope she starts picking up soon, oh, and don´t forget to give her the niacin (Vit 3), it´s important for geese.

Last edited:
Yes I have her parents at home. They are used to cold weather and are hardy - and this winter has been difficult for them. The coldest winter in over 30 years in Manitoba. I have had to rehome my chickens and temporarily foster out my ducks as their shed is just not warm enough even with heat lamps. Frosty was born on NOvember 30th and was kept in my bathroom for 6 weeks until the barn owner was kind enough to allow me to keep her in a stall. Its a professional horse barn and she has the biggest stall - the foaling stall. She will have company once the weather turns normal but I can't exactly start moving all sorts of poultry into this ladies equestrian centre. :)

Yes I have her parents at home. They are used to cold weather and are hardy - and this winter has been difficult for them. The coldest winter in over 30 years in Manitoba. I have had to rehome my chickens and temporarily foster out my ducks as their shed is just not warm enough even with heat lamps. Frosty was born on NOvember 30th and was kept in my bathroom for 6 weeks until the barn owner was kind enough to allow me to keep her in a stall. Its a professional horse barn and she has the biggest stall - the foaling stall. She will have company once the weather turns normal but I can't exactly start moving all sorts of poultry into this ladies equestrian centre. :)
We understand and are not wanting to make you feel badly, circumstances are what they are, Can you get a non breakable mirror and hang it in her stall, they love to look at themselves and this may perk her up enough to get up and moving around.

She is really not feeling well this morning. Will not get up and does not even want to lift her head. :(:(
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom