3 month old Polish chicken sits on hocks a lot

LBsChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 10, 2014
Michigan
I've noticed that my Polish girl likes to sit on her hocks a lot when she sits. Is this ok or is there something wrong? She doesn't have any problems walking at all

Last edited:
I had a silkie like that, she had some brain injuries from having her crest pecked, sometimes crested birds can have troubles like that, does she act odd in any other ways.

Oh wow I wonder if that's what happened to her then, she doesn't act too odd in any other ways that I've noticed yet, she gets lost easier and kind of doesn't know what's going on sometimes but I thought it was because she can't see around her as well, I try to trim the feathers so she can see better but I can only trim so much :/ did your Silkie live ok despite the injury?

She puttered around for about three years before passing. I did have to keep an eye on her and help her out occasionally, but she certainly is one I will always remember.

Well I'm glad to hear she lived 3 years! That would be a hard one to forget. I don't mind helping my girl out, I hope she can live to 3 years or more. Thanks for your help! I never would have thought of brain damage

Do her feet look ok? I have a sizzle, Charlotte, who does that because she has curled toes and I think it feels better to rest them. Sometimes she stands holding one foot up because that seems to be the problem foot. She's also neurotic and doesn't act like a normal chicken. Not sure if she got pecked or was just born nuts. The rest of the flock treats her like a handicap. The make room at the food dish, nobody picks on her and she's just ignores everybody else except my roo, who protects her and my head hen who's taken her in as one of her chicks. She's seems to get along just fine. Just lots of odd behavior.

Here's her with my head hen, Jane and Janes chicks

Haha that is so cute that they watch over her like that! I wish my chickens were that nice, I have some older ones that I had to integrate all my new chickens in with and there's a few that aren't very friendly to the young ones. My Polish girl's feet look fine though, except one of her toenails never grew in and a few grew in weird so maybe she just has some weird genetic problems?

My pols are just wild as can be. The roo always runs around like he's jacked up for a fight. He's not aggressive towards me or any other human but they all seem to have that habit here at my place.

Sometimes I wonder if the crested birds are just all born a little funny in the head... They just all seem to be lacking a bit in the brain department. My roo, another sizzle, is a bit odd as well. I love him though. He's a sweetheart.

She may just not be seeing well, my Silkies with larger crests always seem a little off balance. Maybe try giving her a hair cut. I find, with mine, their muffs (the bit of bearding under their eyes) block more than their crests. A little trim right under her eyes might get her back on track.

Back
Top Bottom