3 month old rooster may have ate rotten chicken shell.

Cluckers101

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2023
I have let him eat shells before because was told it’s ok but today is day 3 and he’s barely eating or drinking and sleeps a lot. He wakes up for a hr or two. Is it possible the shell was rotten and he has a stomach bug? Also his poop is green, ranges from dark to lime but green and not as often. Also any home remedy ideas I am open to. Haven’t tried ACV yet but have tried yogurt and coconut oil and he refuses them, should I eye dropper it to him? TYIA
Edit to add when he’s awake he does play a little like normal.

Picture of the cutie last week for payment of answers lol

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpeg
    IMG_2100.jpeg
    853.8 KB · Views: 5
Are these shells out of your compost? What's his usual diet?
No it’s from the other chickens when their eggs hatched recently. He eats corn scratch feed, lettuce, rice, scrambled eggs, broccoli. Not all that every day. This is first time he’s acted out of the norm. He don’t free range much due to him being injured as a baby and we rehabilitated him and haven’t fully integrated him back to the flock. Day 1 the crop was full and gushy but yesterday and today it’s been small and normal feeling. Other than the barely eating and drinking and all the sleeping he seems normal. Also grits and rice cereal.

Last edited:
No it’s from the other chickens when their eggs hatched recently. He eats corn scratch feed, lettuce, rice, scrambled eggs, broccoli. Not all that every day. This is first time he’s acted out of the norm. He don’t free range much due to him being injured as a baby and we rehabilitated him and haven’t fully integrated him back to the flock. Day 1 the crop was full and gushy but yesterday and today it’s been small and normal feeling. Other than the barely eating and drinking and all the sleeping he seems normal. Also grits and rice cereal.
Do they get any real feed or is there a missing comma?
Cut out all of those extras to once or twice a week, it's not good for them to get so much stuff like that.

Do they get any real feed or is there a missing comma?
Cut out all of those extras to once or twice a week, it's not good for them to get so much stuff like that.
The corn scratch feed is the main thing I give him. It’s a crack corn scratch with other grains in it. He didn’t start acting weird until the day after he ate the shell and other than that he didn’t eat anything out of the normal.

The corn scratch feed is the main thing I give him. It’s a crack corn scratch with other grains in it. He didn’t start acting weird until the day after he ate the shell and other than that he didn’t eat anything out of the normal.
Scratch is not a feed, it's a treat. It's like cheetos for chickens. it has little to none of the nutrition chickens need.
He's suffering from malnutrition, green poop is a symptom of not getting enough to eat.

Can you stop all the treats, including the scratch, and buy some actual balanced chicken crumbled feed?

Can you stop all the treats, including the scratch, and buy some actual balanced chicken crumbled feed?
Like the 20/20 stuff I gave him as a baby? All my store has is the scratch I give all of them, the baby feed stuff, and treats like grasshoppers and grubs. Oh and the big corn for horses and goats maybe? My step dad said stay away from the big corn and since I didn’t have roosters I didn’t need the egg layer food. So idk what anyone means by feed.

Scratch is not a feed, it's a treat. It's like cheetos for chickens. it has little to none of the nutrition chickens need.
He's suffering from malnutrition, green poop is a symptom of not getting enough to eat.
Ok so since he won’t really eat or drink much right now what should I do to encourage him to eat?

Back
Top Bottom