3 month old rooster may have ate rotten chicken shell.

I did the 20% for his first 2 months and switched to the second one like the other chickens eat last month.

Attachments

• IMG_2324.jpeg
    IMG_2324.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2323.jpeg
    IMG_2323.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 1
I did the 20% for his first 2 months and switched to the second one like the other chickens eat last month.
The first one is better. The scratch grain is like feeding him chips and candy all day.

Compare the nutrition labels on the two and you will see the differences. A lot of old people are silly and stuck in their ways or simply don't understand that scratch isn't a balanced feed.

Your bird is suffering now from who knows what...highly unlikely the reason being some egg shells and much more likely what he's been eating daily for the last few months.

Like the 20/20 stuff I gave him as a baby? All my store has is the scratch I give all of them, the baby feed stuff, and treats like grasshoppers and grubs. Oh and the big corn for horses and goats maybe? My step dad said stay away from the big corn and since I didn’t have roosters I didn’t need the egg layer food. So idk what anyone means by feed.
If your store is Tractor Supply they carry chick feed and all flock feed.

You don't feed your laying hens layer pellets?

Right on these two bags:

One says COMPLETE which means this is all they need to eat.
Screenshot_20230706-154555.png

This S word is a fancy word that means TREAT:
Screenshot_20230706-154610.png

Ok thanks for the responses. I will look around other forums and see if I can find anything on how to coax him to eat and drink and start giving him baby food. I’ve read a lot of stuff and nothing said I was feeding him wrong on any post, website, etc but I at least need to try to get him eating and drinking like normal again. Which was the second question on my post was should I eye dropper him extra stuff and what it should be.

I have let him eat shells before because was told it’s ok but today is day 3 and he’s barely eating or drinking and sleeps a lot. He wakes up for a hr or two. Is it possible the shell was rotten and he has a stomach bug? Also his poop is green, ranges from dark to lime but green and not as often. Also any home remedy ideas I am open to. Haven’t tried ACV yet but have tried yogurt and coconut oil and he refuses them, should I eye dropper it to him? TYIA
Edit to add when he’s awake he does play a little like normal.
I grind all my saved shells to a powder

Ok thanks for the responses. I will look around other forums and see if I can find anything on how to coax him to eat and drink and start giving him baby food. I’ve read a lot of stuff and nothing said I was feeding him wrong on any post, website, etc but I at least need to try to get him eating and drinking like normal again. Which was the second question on my post was should I eye dropper him extra stuff and what it should be.
He could have a bit of shell stick in his throat can you open his beak

If your store is Tractor Supply they carry chick feed and all flock feed.

You don't feed your laying hens layer pellets?
No was always told they don’t need that because there’s roosters in the flock. They are wild chickens we just feed them. The baby rooster is the first that dont just do it’s own thing because like I said we found him injured and haven’t reintegrated him. And also like I said nothing I’ve read in the last 3 and half months said I was doing anything wrong. It wasn’t until the 4th that he started acting weird. So I guess only a full 2 days not 3 I’m sorry. All the other chickens are fine and never showed signs of anything being wrong. I guess because they get extra nutrients in the yard? I do have the grubs and hoppers but he hasn’t ever showed interest in those.

Back
Top Bottom