3 month old Sussex acting off/unwell

Chickentings

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Ah…again, it seems I am back here with more questions on how to help my first flock ever. I have a flock of 7. I have two speckled Sussex that I got around the same age. One seems to be developing slower than the other. I’m not sure if the breeder gave me different aged chicks. Everyone is 3 months now. I recently stopped a Corid treatment for everyone and will do the follow up recommended Corid treatment in a few days. My Sussex is usually very hyper, upbeat, and social. I noticed ALL chickens lost some weight during the time of the Corid treatment, with the Sussex being the smallest now feeling her breast bone far too well than my other birds. She sleeps standing up often, when she pecks at food, she’s not super interested and greedy like she normally is. When everyone else is sitting down relaxing because it’s so hot here, she still stands up with eyes closed. I could do a fecal test with my vet ($50), or purchase a dewormer which would be my next thought for them as a routine treatment anyway ($40-$50) and see if that helps her. Just not sure what to do at this point if anyone has experienced the same or has recommendations. It’s been a few days and she just doesn’t have the same energy as she used to and the sleeping while standing thing is very unusual for her and I’m sure any other chicken. Everyone else has better energy although I feel they may need more time to catch up after that Corid treatment. I have some b-complex vitamins I can crush up and put into the feed mix if anyone thinks that’s a good idea? The following video shows how slow walking she is almost like she has something stuck up her butt but I check it everyday no bugs or wet poo stuck to her.

Everyone else has a bit more upbeat-ness to them when they run away from strange sounds etc. they are also not of laying age so it’s not an eggbound issue.

You can try to deworm them. Valbazen works really good. Are your chicks vaccinated for Marek's? Since you get them as pullets, there's a chance that they got Marek's from the breeder's flock.

You can try to deworm them. Valbazen works really good. Are your chicks vaccinated for Marek's? Since you get them as pullets, there's a chance that they got Marek's from the breeder's flock.
What would the dosage be for valbazen? It’s getting to be 107 here in central tx next week should I wait till after the heat stress? All pullets vaccinated for mareks and one other thing I believe.

Any preening is a good sign. Self-care is very important for chickens.
I’m glad to see her still being active with everyone and she seriously loves treats. Still forages. She’s sleeping less but she basically has less vigor. She used to be very active and hyper active almost, but now she’s much more calm, slower moving than the rest and she’s the smallest lightweighing one. I pick her up everyday to see if she has gained some weight and have noticed as of yesterday thag she seem s to be getting some more weight on but her personality and energy is still very not as it was if that makes sense.

I’m glad to see her still being active with everyone and she seriously loves treats. Still forages. She’s sleeping less but she basically has less vigor. She used to be very active and hyper active almost, but now she’s much more calm, slower moving than the rest and she’s the smallest lightweighing one. I pick her up everyday to see if she has gained some weight and have noticed as of yesterday thag she seem s to be getting some more weight on but her personality and energy is still very not as it was if that makes sense.
The fact that she’s spending time with others and that they aren’t pecking her is a good sign. Is is possible she’s just calming down suddenly?

The fact that she’s spending time with others and that they aren’t pecking her is a good sign. Is is possible she’s just calming down suddenly?
Maybe I spoke too soon. While she does still hang with her flock, and they do not peck on her, it’s like she has stunted growth. She was coming along just fine in development with everyone until month 3. She has not gained the mature chicken “bawk bawk” noises they all have now. She’s a lot light weight compared to them, her movements are slower and not as enthusiastic as she used to be, her neck sits in a little tighter/tucked into her chest, she eats but not as much as before. And her crop rarely feels as full as it used to when she’d be a little piggy with food. She’s the only one like that. All 6 others that I got around the same age are doing great in development and typical curious behavior.

Also like to add I just checked on them and she kind of was standing there with her eyes slowly closing feathers a little ruffled. Not the cocci stance per se but you can tell she’s either uncomfortable or tired. Then there’s other times where her feathers are totally fine and she’s not sleeping standing up.

Back
Top Bottom