3 murdered hens...advice please

If you need to kill that dog to protect your livestock, then that's what you have to do. But do it humanely. Take it to the pound or shoot it.

Death by antifreeze is not fast, painless, or easy. It can take hours or days for the animal to die an anguishing death. This is a very cruel method. It's highly likley that the dog owner will see the animal's suffering, suspect you, and could exact a revenge that will only hurt your birds more.

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/antifreeze.html

If you know your neighbors are using Methamphetamines, then just call the police. But be sure you have proof, b/c if they find out you called they might come after you. That is how that drug works on people are addicted fools. IF a dog is killing my chickens and i catch it, then it will get shot. Simple as that. People need to control their animals or risk the possibility of people taking matters into their own hands. believe me i don't want to do these type of things, but i don't want my personal property destroyed either.

Farmers wife: post #47 IS SICK!
We can be sorry for a loss and do what we can to be helpful but that is it!
Don't give a reasonable person BAD ADVICE!
Be prepared to trap the dog and call animal control.
I would hate for you to kill the dog because you would not want to live with that.
to dye by poiosning is horrific!

The cheapest way to go is electric livestock fencing. "American Livestock Supply" has everything you need and alot cheaper than Tractor supply. Years ago my JR kept digging under the fence and I ran the wire along the bottom of the fence, not touching the ground. It only took one shock, and she never did it again.
No matter what you do, I think you're always going to have a problem with these people. At least shock wire fencing will keep that dog and others out of your yard.

The cheapest way to go is electric livestock fencing

I just read this thread and I am so sorry for all your little gals deaths.

I'm with seminolewind.... get an electric fence and see if you can get the dog owners to pay.​

I read through this whole post, and I agree you should probably shoot the dog. I wonder though just how many who have advocated shooting have actually done so. It's not that easy,and for me it gets harder each year. I like dogs in general just as much as I like chickens and I have way too many of both.
A suggestion for anyone reading this post. Do not say anything to the dogs owner period. Go rent the largest live trap that you can and trap the dog. They are not wild animals and very easy to trap. Take it directly to the pound. When the owner is located, if they are located, it's going to hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook.
Someone else suggested poison. There is another forum which I read who has member who uses poison exclusively. He calls it the recipe. I have argued against this every time it is mentioned. I used poison many years ago trapping predators, and believe me if you have even an ounce of humaness about you, you will never do it again.
I know how frustrating it is to find your birds killed by someones dog. It is even more frustrating trying to deal with an unreasonable owner of same. For larger animals you could probably take him to court and collect damages, but with chickens probably not. I have been an "Expert Witness" in a number of cases involving the value of livestock killed by dogs. The livestock owner usually does very well in these cases.
In conclusion, I strongly recommend trapping and taking to the pound. without notifing the owner.

I would probably go with the electric fencing and covertly document/report anything over taking direct action because of the threats made at this point and possible drug involvement. Avoid all contact with them.

I have lost a dog to a nasty neighbor after a threat was made. We didn't take him seriously. He wasn't into drugs, just a really bitter old man. Drugs just up the ante IME on the crazy things people will do.

If you go with trapping, call AC to remove vs taking it to a shelter. Many of them ask for ID and/or would give enough info to your neighbors for them to identify you and retaliate should they decide to retrieve him. Also, you could be accused of theft of the dog.

Do report the threat and treat it seriously whether the sheriff does or not. Document everything. Take precautions for you and yours. At this point if anything happens to that dog, they will attribute it to you. Some people drugs or no are just nuts these days.

hugs.gif

Set up a trail cam WITH OUT A FLASH, to record the traffic @ their home for a week, if it is as bad as you say,,, they don't want anyone paying attention to them, so if 30 cars make 5 minute stops, print them, mail from other zip code with no return addy, add letter thats says BE NICE, nothing else, then with some help of the DMV, and maybe having to pay for help of a PI,,,,mail a copy of the photo of each car to it's owner, with a letter saying, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, YOU ARE PART OF THIS.

Buisness will drop off.

you will light a paranoia fire like dropping a match in gas, if they are dealing they will be gone in a week.

Maybe Panner will chime in, the Gvmt, teaches lots of tricks, the best are letting the enemy destroy it self from within. All you have to do is plant the seed, then nature takes it's course, in days the roots consume the seed and erase all traces, then the plant and root spread far.

You sit back with squeaky clean fingers and let it grow.

Quote:
One of my husband's co-workers had a bunch of meth losers move in next to him. Cars came and went all the time. The people were trash. One night when there seemed to be a bit of a crowd over there, he took one of those little red laser pen lights and shined it in their window. He said they all came running out like cockroaches, got in their cars and drove off. I guess they thought the cops or rivals were taking aim with high powered rifles.

Back
Top Bottom