3 of 4 baby chicks died

hannahselby94

Chirping
Jun 11, 2018
1 baby chick hatched perfectly normal. 2 were dead in their shells but a little hatched and the 3rd was almost out of the shell and eventually died. I'm not sure whats going on. She did sit on 15 eggs so maybe something went wrong? i'm not sure. but also there are 10 more eggs for her to sit on and shes pretty much done sitting on them.. what should i do? or what would be the cause of the babies dying?

That’s terrible! I’m sorry about your loss :(. I had a hen who sat on her eggs diligently, but only two hatched and somehow got smooshed under her. I was able to get them out and bury the poor things. She continued to set on her eggs for a few weeks until I finally pulled her off and disposed of the eggs. She was a first time mom and hadn’t been with her roo too long. She started laying eggs again and last month hatched out 11 healthy, active babies (only three of the eggs didn’t hatch this time).

Is your girl a first time mom? I wonder if that might be the case. Also, when I was younger, if eggs didn’t hatch we’d bring them inside and give them a little more time. I have also helped my fair share of chicks out of their eggs (I know this is discouraged, but sometimes they just need a little help. Just make sure you’re careful about it - only pick away small pieces of shell in a circle around the end of the egg where the chick has started breaking through).

Hope this helps!

How far along are the 10 eggs? Have you just collected them and they haven't start the process yet or has she been setting on the eggs for a few days now and ditched them? If the eggs hasn't been set yet, they are good for about 10 days which gives you the option of ordering an incubator and getting it shipped ASAP. But if they have already been set a few days into the process, you will need an incubator right now, you can pick one up at your local farm supplies store.

first time moms are usually an issue with this kind of thing, my crazy hens first time going broody decided to try and sit on 30 eggs, she got a few hatched otu but if she has to many under her youll have a higher mortality rate, Good luck with trying to get eggs out from under her though, once they get some hatched out they adjust though and try more manageable numbers

She is a first time momma. and it has been about 18-22 days she has been consistently sitting on them and then just stopped and walking around with her new baby chick and doesn't care about the rest of the eggs who are due any time now! Unless they are all duds.

1 baby chick hatched perfectly normal. 2 were dead in their shells but a little hatched and the 3rd was almost out of the shell and eventually died. I'm not sure whats going on. She did sit on 15 eggs so maybe something went wrong? i'm not sure. but also there are 10 more eggs for her to sit on and shes pretty much done sitting on them.. what should i do? or what would be the cause of the babies dying?
I would probably suggest you place the chicks under a lamp, monitoring the temperature. The babies may have died due to temperature not being warm enough.

Back
Top Bottom