Chicks hatching and bloody

hrayb

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 6, 2017
Momma hen has hatched 7 chicks and is being a great mom since Friday, she’s still got 3 eggs under her that need to hatch. One piped today, and was slooowly making progress. When I went to check on babies, I seen blood and she was going to town on the egg and chick that has piped. It was still alive and chirping and the egg shell was very bloody. I’m pretty sure it has passed, but did she know something was wrong with it? Is that normal for her to peck at the egg and chick? I never saw the others hatch so unsure. And honestly just curious. Thanks!

How long ago did the first eggs hatch? Usually after 2-3 days the hen goes from hatching to raising and will usually abandon the remaining eggs. If she stays in the same area she may treat them like they aren't their own if they hatch.

The first one hatched Friday and then every 12 hours or so another one would hatch. We had 7 for 2 days and then the one she was attacking started hatching.

I would assume she's done with anymore that may hatch and I would remove the rest of the eggs. How many are left? Otherwise pull the rest as they hatch and brood them yourself. She will probably try to kill the rest.

Just 2 are left after she assumingly killed the 3rd egg. I pulled them and placed them in the incubator to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom