Dead hatcher

Chickengirl2001

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2023
NSW Australia
So today I checked under my broody (she’s been sitting on eggs) and one had hatched but unfortunately didn’t make it :( the chick had pretty much no shell around it other than at the bottom where it looked to have some blood too. I don’t know what happened or what went wrong because it otherwise looked completely healthy and fully formed! Any suggestions as to what may have happened? I know it’s hard as we can’t control humidity or temperature when we choose to let our hens hatch their own eggs.

The hen controls the humidity and temp with her body, so that wouldn’t be the issue. Our incubators are just mimicking what the hen does.

When I’ve had this happen it seems to be that the hen may have stepped on it or it took too long to hatch and died of exhaustion. Sorry this happened, it’s always a sad disappointment.

The hen controls the humidity and temp with her body, so that wouldn’t be the issue. Our incubators are just mimicking what the hen does.

When I’ve had this happen it seems to be that the hen may have stepped on it or it took too long to hatch and died of exhaustion. Sorry this happened, it’s always a sad disappointment.
I feel she may have stepped on it because its whole body was exposed which was why I was confused that it didn’t survive.
Thank you, I was quite devastated and felt really bad for mumma hen as she’s been so dedicated to hatching them.

I don’t know where you live. But the cold can be an issue too this time of the year.

You can add your state or country in your profile. It can be helpful for those who want to help.

Ooh, and welcome to BYC!

How many other eggs, and have any hatched? I consider using a hen the very best way to hatch eggs. They don’t always survive in an incubator either.
There are about 6 other eggs and none have hatched. It doesn’t help that they’re all at different stages and I have no idea when they’re due to hatch! If you go and look at my other post it explains a bit more about the strange circumstances. I definitely think using the hens is the best way too I probably worded that wrong, sorry!

I don’t know where you live. But the cold can be an issue too this time of the year.

You can add your state or country in your profile. It can be helpful for those who want to help.

Ooh, and welcome to BYC!
Thank you! I’ll go and add that now!
I’m in Australia and we have had up to 40 degree Celsius days lately so do you think it could maybe be a matter of being too warm?
Thank you so much! I’m glad I found this site!

As long as the nest is in a shaded area the heat shouldn’t be a problem. If it is very dry that can be an issue but the hen’s body will provide some moisture. When I’ve been in a drought when chicks were due, I’ve spritzed my hen’s belly with some water. Just one spritz will do, just to add a tiny amount of moisture to counteract the moisture lost when I peek under there.

I don’t have experience with such heat. But what Cinnamon rolls said makes sense.

Do you already know that a staggered hatch often involves the broody has to make a choice after part of the eggs has hatched. Go out with the chicks for feed and water, or stay longer on the nest to hatch (maybe) one or two more. She does know if there is life inside. She can hear the chicks before they hatch. Some hens throw out the infertile/dead eggs.

When I let a broody sit, I want to be in control. I use fake eggs at the start, replace them with bought eggs or eggs out of storage and always mark the eggs. Not useful info now, but maybe helpful for the next time.

Thank you! I’ll go and add that now!
I’m in Australia and we have had up to 40 degree Celsius days lately so do you think it could maybe be a matter of being too warm?
Thank you so much! I’m glad I found this site!
Yes it can be too warm! 40º C is 104F. I had a hen lose a clutch of eggs here, I think due to temps over 100F here for many days. She only had 3 eggs, they all quit. I got her some baby chicks at a local hatchery so she wouldn’t be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom