Dead hatcher

As long as the nest is in a shaded area the heat shouldn’t be a problem. If it is very dry that can be an issue but the hen’s body will provide some moisture. When I’ve been in a drought when chicks were due, I’ve spritzed my hen’s belly with some water. Just one spritz will do, just to add a tiny amount of moisture to counteract the moisture lost when I peek under there.
Thanks, I’ll definitely keep that in mind! It’s quite humid here but the days are so up and down. Some days are 40 degrees and others are 22! Sounds like a great tip if I ever run into that problem!

I don’t have experience with such heat. But what Cinnamon rolls said makes sense.

Do you already know that a staggered hatch often involves the broody has to make a choice after part of the eggs has hatched. Go out with the chicks for feed and water, or stay longer on the nest to hatch (maybe) one or two more. She does know if there is life inside. She can hear the chicks before they hatch. Some hens throw out the infertile/dead eggs.

When I let a broody sit, I want to be in control. I use fake eggs at the start, replace them with bought eggs or eggs out of storage and always mark the eggs. Not useful info now, but maybe helpful for the next time.
I have done heaps and heaps of research over the past week (I wish I had have done it sooner!!) and found out they could also possibly kill any late hatchers. Due to this and other factors I went out and bought an incubator a couple of days ago and moved about 12 other eggs from the nest (I have since candled them and only 6 are alive). That’s sweet that they chirp to each other! There were definitely dead ones as we had two rotten ones explode (which was quite literally a whole other mess) and I have removed three others that were definitely rotten.
Thank you, that’s really helpful and I’ll definitely utilise this next time I choose to hatch eggs under a broody!

Yes it can be too warm! 40º C is 104F. I had a hen lose a clutch of eggs here, I think due to temps over 100F here for many days. She only had 3 eggs, they all quit. I got her some baby chicks at a local hatchery so she wouldn’t be disappointed.
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear! I unfortunately had to get rid of two quitter eggs out of this clutch, I wonder if the heat had something to do with that. Im glad your hen got some babies in the end ❤️
On that note, I have moved one of her eggs to the incubator in fear of it dying or being crushed too. I candled it and it looks to be at about day 15. The hen still has eggs under her but as of tonight didn’t show any signs of life but I’ll check again tomorrow to be sure.
If I hatch her chick in the incubator and then reintroduce it to her, will she accept it or is she likely to kill it? I’d love for her baby to be with her after hatching if possible.

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear! I unfortunately had to get rid of two quitter eggs out of this clutch, I wonder if the heat had something to do with that. Im glad your hen got some babies in the end ❤️
On that note, I have moved one of her eggs to the incubator in fear of it dying or being crushed too. I candled it and it looks to be at about day 15. The hen still has eggs under her but as of tonight didn’t show any signs of life but I’ll check again tomorrow to be sure.
If I hatch her chick in the incubator and then reintroduce it to her, will she accept it or is she likely to kill it? I’d love for her baby to be with her after hatching if possible.
As for reintroducing a chick, it might be fine, especially if you sneak it in after dark. That’s what I did with the hatchery chicks I gave my hen. I slipped one in and she began ‘talking’ to it and she moved around to let it settle in. Then I added the rest. These chicks are now nearly full grown.
However I don’t know what to tell you about a staggered hatch, and how a hen might react to that. It seems to me they have to switch gears to go into mothering mode vs hatching mode, and once they do they would probably abandon the rest of the eggs.
And if you removed, incubated, and try to add other chicks later, that might be a no-no as far as mom is concerned.
I would make sure to be prepared to raise them myself….

found out they could also possibly kill any late hatchers.
On purpose? This is the first time I read this. I never experienced such cruel behaviour.

What I did see last hatch : a chick struggled to hatch and was 1-3 days later to hatch. He was left behind when the broodies took the chicks to search for food.
Its a sort of survival of the fit ones at that point. I took him inside and gave a little water with electrolytes (sugar, salt, apple cider vinegar). After the electrolytes, he was more active. I put him back under a broody after dark and next day he could get along with the others. (50% chance it was a he).

Last edited:
There is a thread for people from Australia. Shouldn't be too hard to find. @Ribh ?

This is the official Oz thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island.598568/

I'm from Queensland myself but a few Aussies haunt my thread or have their own.
Mine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ribhs-dcoopage.1295189/page-3759#post-27371738

MaryJanet is in S.A. Here's her thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mjs-little-flock.1334809/page-2732#post-27372683

Thank you so much! Much appreciated, I’ll check it out now :)

Back
Top Bottom