3 part staggered hatch, Wynette, Speckledhen, scbatz33 eggs new photos

Hey, Kathy - I actually do incubate my Marans a tad higher (about 5 higher during incubation and hatch) and get a better hatch, HOWEVER, I hesitate to give exact numbers to anyone hatching, because it truly does depend on your natural humidity in the air, as well as altitude. It's a tough decision to make when you're hatching other breeds, too. When I do that, I go with what I deem to be "normal" for humidity in my area.

Also - I do the weight loss method, which works NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE IN THE COUNTRY. It's foolproof! But, since you've already set them, you really can't switch over now, because you must get weights from the set date.

BEST of luck on your hatch!! My Marans eggs have actually lightened up quite a bit; they are at the very end of their layiing cycle for the year. I was going to put in an egg shell sample of when they are laying their darkest eggs, but forgot - sorry about that! Let me know if you'd like a shell sample, as I'm more than happy to pop one in the mail!

Quote:
Oh yes, that would be so cool. I would love to have a shell sample. And I know the family here would love it too!

About the humidity .... I did hatch 8 of my own Cuckoo Marans eggs. Would that be considered the same as the other Marans? I used 35% for them, and then 65% for the hatch. Katy (who is around my altitude) is successful with 30% and 60%. Well, I guess I will try to keep it at 35% for now.

The bad news today .... we (an area of 500+ homes) had a power outage that lasted almost 4 hours. I kept the bators covered with a heavy blanket. I didn't know if that would help, but thought I would give it a try. Then, when the power came back on, I did not want to immediately take them off to check the temp. I figured I should wait a bit to get the heat going. Well, when I did check it, about 45 mins later, the temp was at 98.8. So, I don't really know how low it got. I sure how it didn't ruin the whole batch.

Well, I'm home from work. It looks like the bators are functioning fine. Time will tell, huh. Another day closer to hatch I hope.

Boy, it is gettin' cold here. It's suppose to start raining here anytime (tonight) and rain for 48 hours (again!). Geez, I hope not. Being from Iowa, where the soil is rich and fertile, and moving to Missouri was a shock to find rocky clay underfoot. I think Missouri is just a big rock with a little earth sprinkled on top. I love it here, but do not like the soil (I guess it's still called soil?).

I have alot of outside work to get done! Well, I guess I can work inside the build, but the lumber is all outside covered in tarps. My yard looks like a salvage lumber yard.

Last edited:
Well, day 5 is done. Wow, we are a quarter of the way through this incubation. It seems like forever, and it's really only 21 days. It's just the nerve wracking time. Then, I have the Lavender Orpington project eggs that are 48 hours behind this hatch. And the next hatch (Delawares) should be about a week behind the first. I love this staggered hatch routine!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day! Bbrrr, it's cold. It feels like winter is here, like we skipped over fall. I hope it warms up again, before the real winter hits.
I HAVE WORK TO DO ! !
barnie.gif

celebrate.gif
Exciting news: deliveries expected this week
Laie_13.gif

*tomorrow I will receive 13 Jersey Giants (started), from A1Blues.
*tomorrow or next day I will receive Delaware eggs, quilt, and sweatshirt from Speckledhen!

Last edited:
Good morning! For me, 1-18 flies by pretty quickly, but 19-21....GADS, it seems like a month!

Boy, you've got a ton of chicks & eggs coming in - how in the world do you keep them all straight?

Here it is .... Post # 1000 ...
tongue2.gif

Boy, you've got a ton of chicks & eggs coming in - how in the world do you keep them all straight?

Wynette: Well, so far, no problem. I have several different coops, and different brooders. And, I also keep written records. I am just beginning the set up to include photos, as well. Of course, those will need frequent updates! I have leg bands ordered, but not yet here.

My deliveries will be here tomorrow (Thursday, Oct 14). I have everything set up, and ready to go!
clap.gif

Now, just waiting!
caf.gif

Well, as I am at work, I had better get busy! I will check my PMs as soon as I get back from my lunch break! Good luck!
wink.png

Quote:
Wynette: Well, so far, no problem. I have several different coops, and different brooders. And, I also keep written records. I am just beginning the set up to include photos, as well. Of course, those will need frequent updates! I have leg bands ordered, but not yet here.

My deliveries will be here tomorrow (Thursday, Oct 14). I have everything set up, and ready to go!
clap.gif

Now, just waiting!
caf.gif

Well, as I am at work, I had better get busy! I will check my PMs as soon as I get back from my lunch break! Good luck!
wink.png

you have pm's!!
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom