3 week jumbo quail with muscular disfunction?

chickenlittle77

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
my 3 week female jumbo cannot stand up, always laying on the sides, eats well and drink too. but cant stand up on its feet. the legs are ok, no sign of injure. could it be something neurological? or muscularskeletol?
anybody any idea? it she doesnt get better that means ill have to euthanize her? sounds silly but i hatched them and i m very attached to them i intend to just use them for eggs not for meat.
Please any suggestions?

Did this just start? And I don't find it silly at all all my birds are for eggs and breeding. If I feed it I can't eat it LOL
I love quail I just buy it already packaged to eat.

As for your hen what do you feed them?

big_smile.png
hey thankx for the reply
i'm like you i buy them processed cant kill my own, not yet at least.
yes it just started maybe i'd say 5 days ago i noticed she was always laying on the cage floor, then i picked her up and noticed she couldnt stand up, so i bring her close to the waterer and she drinks a lot and she eats fine too. she is one of my cutes females and i feel so bad i was searching about some neuromuscular disorders in quails. i dont think is anything infectious because all the other are fine. now when they were babies 4 of them got really sick and didnt eat, so i nursed them back feeding them with a syringe. now i dont know if shes one of them or not. btw out of those four i just lost 1, so 3 survived. she eats fine and drinks too but i noticed the the wings are getting bruised. i think shes suffering. seems like shes got some type of muscular ataxia. have u ever seen anything like this?
thankx you
chickenlittle

Not something I have seen in my quail but I have seen it in other birds
Try propping her up where she can get food and water for a few days sometimes birds work through it. Also post this in emergency area there may be someone who has seen it

There have been several of us that have had this problem. I think it's almost, if not always in jumbos. It seems to start with the quail sort of crawling on it's "knees" and going downhill from there. It might be the bird growing too quickly, it might be a correlation with being put on wire, possibly genetic and it might be a vitamin deficiency or a combination of a couple of these things. It seems to be most common in birds around the 3 week mark.

I had a bird that did this and here's what I did: I took the bird out of the wire pen and put it back in the brooder with a friend. I sat it very close to food and water. I got an idea in the Storey's duck book that it could be a niacin deficiency. Ducks need extra niacin to avoid wing and leg problems, so I thought maybe niacin could help the quail too. I put a ground up 100mg niacin tablet (available at the grocery store in the vitamin section) per gallon of water. Whether or not it was coincidence or something I did, the quail recovered in about a week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom