3 week old baby chick,Bloated around right leg,as if filled with water,help? Should I call vet ?

Emmychicks

Hatching
Jun 13, 2016
My little baby Tweedle was looking fat this morning and when I picked him up he was bloated all around the top of his right leg,where the drumstick would be I guess ? (Promise I ain't gonna eat my baby) I prodded it gently,he doesn't seem to be in any pain and i can touch it and rub it,it seems like it is filled with water,but I'm really worrried,vets out here are mega expensive, should I call one ? He's running around fine in the grass but I really can't h ave him dying,his sister would be all alone.
Any suggestions or advice would be super appreciated!! Thanks

Em

I can,let me just get some,he has swollen up more and you can see through his skin in places, I can feel now tha it doesn't seem to be water but a large air bubble spreading under the very first layer of skin. I have considered popping it as I am scared he may stretch so much that he'll explode like a balloon

I can,let me just get some,he has swollen up more and you can see through his skin in places, I can feel now tha it doesn't seem to be water but a large air bubble spreading under the very first layer of skin. I have considered popping it as I am scared he may stretch so much that he'll explode like a balloon
From your description is sounds like a ruptured air sac or "subcutaneous emphysema".
Here is a good article by @casportpony on what it is and what to do. It looks like the air will need to be released. You may want to pm her after you post pics and see if she has any helpful tips on how to proceed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/843992/q-and-a-article-from-a-peafowl-website

Your Welcome
smile.png

Please keep us updated on how he is doing and if possible what and how you treated him so we can help others.

Back
Top Bottom