Splay leg 3 weeks old??? Or Injury

ChickyMudder

Songster
Feb 28, 2023
Oregon
I just got home from a trip and my three week old BCM is limping with splay leg. His joint is huge!
Can they get spy leg after two weeks old or is this an injury?
Is he too old to fix this with a splint? He gets around ok. Should I just let him grow out?

Attachments

• IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 63
He is getting around ok. Biggest chick in the group and always has a full crop. I just worry he will suffer as he grows.

Hopefully, the leg swelling will go down with rest. Let us know how he gets along. If you have some meloxicam, that might help the swelling go down. If you can upload a video of him walking to YouTube or similar, and post a link here, that would help.

Follow up: his leg kept getting worse despite taping it to the other. I took off the tape and it went almost all the way around. I culled him to prevent suffering.

Now 10 weeks later and his brother - the next biggest roo in the group is doing it.
Just devastated that this group is suffering so. I put so much money into them this stock is concerning me.

Sorry for your loss. If you lose another, I would have your state vet test for possible MS (mycoplasma synovitis.) I am looking now at your new thread with the cockerel that has a bilateral leg bone deformity.

Sorry for your loss. If you lose another, I would have your state vet test for possible MS (mycoplasma synovitis.) I am looking now at your new thread with the cockerel that has a bilateral leg bone deformity.
Can I get them tested while alive? I spoke to the breeder and he said he ships chicks out of country and they all test negative for MG/MS. He did mention problems with his older Roos legs.
Hoping and praying this is just an absorption issue. Seems to be the same leg in both birds.

Back
Top Bottom