wild peafowl leg injury

wildpeafowllady

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
Hi all! I have a wild peafowl (there are a ton on my neighborhood) that has a leg injury. he comes by my place everyday at the same time and ive started giving him some water and oats. I want to keep him wild but help him if i can. any idea what could be wrong? photos attached. he uses the leg as a kickstand of sorts and hops mostly.

link for photos and a short video. he's missing a few toes but that part of the injury looks old and healed. the leg looks super swollen at the toes and joint

https://we.tl/t-9zB6D8mMMw

any and all help is so appreciated. I'm in Los Angeles, California

-Gloria
IMG_2168.JPG
IMG_2173.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

Last edited:
Hi and :welcome! Unfortunately I'm not able to see the pictures or video...

To add a picture:
Click Attach Files (just below the comment box) or the image button (shown in the picture below)
directions.png

Then:
Go to Pictures or wherever you have the picture saved and choose the picture
Click Open in the bottom right corner and it should attach as a file (or directly appear in the comment box).

To add a video you have to upload it to Youtube first.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to BYC. I can’t the video. Pictures may help. There is also a pea fowl forum under Forums above, then scroll down. You can post there as well for more looks and advice. Basic wound care for injuries is to use saline or a mild wound spray, followed by triple antibiotic ointment. There may have been a predator attack if toes are missing.

Hi and :welcome! Unfortunately I'm not able to see the pictures or video...

To add a picture:
Click Attach Files (just below the comment box) or the image button (shown in the picture below)View attachment 3748631
Then:
Go to Pictures or wherever you have the picture saved and choose the picture
Click Open in the bottom right corner and it should attach as a file (or directly appear in the comment box).

To add a video you have to upload it to Youtube first.

Hope this helps!
thank you so much i added them

Welcome to BYC. I can’t the video. Pictures may help. There is also a pea fowl forum under Forums above, then scroll down. You can post there as well for more looks and advice. Basic wound care for injuries is to use saline or a mild wound spray, followed by triple antibiotic ointment. There may have been a predator attack if toes are missing.
thanks! just added photos

It looks like the left leg might have been broken by the swollen healed bone. That may be a callus, which is what forms when the bones heal. The joint looks swollen at the hock.Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with peafowl, but I will tag @casportpony since she raises them and is knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom