3 week old chick with yellow crud or scale spreading all over! Help!

Trinitydraco

Songster
Jul 6, 2018
Vermont
I ordered from Meyer hatchery for the first time this year so I am concerned it's something that came from the hatchery. It's an Easter egger chick that's 3 weeks old. I noticed it limping a bit 2 days ago and I checked it's feet. They looked okay but I was keeping a close eye. It seemed like it was walking better but when I inspected today it looked like the beginning of bumble foot. I started a chlorhexidine foot soak and began using a toothbrush to clean and realized it's ENTIRE BODY IS COVERED IN THIS THICKENING YELLOW CRUD! I am super freaked out and have no idea what to do! Is it mange from mites I can't see? An infection from a fungus? Help! I haven't done a super close inspection on the other chicks yet but none of them look like THIS! I completely clean and sterilize the brooder multiple times a week. They do keep getting on the new brooder plate and pooping and walking through it so I have been at war with keeping their feet clean but this isn't my first time with chicks. I have NEVER had anything like this happen. Someone said maybe vitamin A deficiency? I can't get any clear information. I'm sorry if this is a bit disorganized of a post I am just kind of panicked right now. Any help would be appreciated! I can get to tractor supply tomorrow morning.
IMG_20230417_150218047.jpg
IMG_20230417_150200934.jpg
IMG_20230417_150227083.jpg

Depluming mites can cause feather loss and thick, crusty skin (think scaly leg mites but in the feathers), however I don't know how likely that is in chicks still in a brooder and I think it's unlikely it came with them from the hatchery.

Is the crustiness just on the underside? If so it might be a reaction to something in the environment in the brooder since it has signs of foot pad dermatitis. What bedding do you use and are they spilling their water so it's often damp? How do you clean and sterilize it?

I'm assuming you are feeding commercial chick starter, which should have all the vitamins and minerals needed, and though I've read that some vitamin deficiencies can cause dermatitis and scaly skin, your case looks like more than just dermatitis. That being said, I don't think it could hurt to add some poultry vitamins.

I'd start with just cleaning her up as best you can in a warm bath and maybe applying some coconut oil or something afterward to help soothe the skin. If you don't see improvement with that then I'd see if treating for favus helps (clean with iodine once a day being careful around the face/eyes or an antifungal cream twice a day). Also keep an eye on your other chicks for anything similar.

Let us know how she does and if you figure out what the issue is.

Back
Top Bottom