3 week old chicks with bloody poop, please help before it spreads!

Thanks so much for your help, Southernbelle, Toast'n Jelly and MeettheFlockers. I have a few more questions if you wouldnt mind helping me out with them.

-Is the dose the same for chicks and adult chickens?

-Should I treat my standard size laying hens who arent in the barn but in a seperate pen away from the barn? I went ahead and treated the other 3 pens of adult bantams that are in the barn with the babies, the same dose (6 ml corid in 1 litre of water). One of those hens has had symptoms.

-Does the cocci transfer to eating eggs?

-Also, should I not sell the bantam hatching eggs due to contamination on the egg because you cant wash them? (I wouldnt want to infect anyone elses flock.)

-How long does the cocci live in the barn and surrounding areas when not in its host?

-Also, I have some chicks hatching out this week, should I start them on the treatment or a different dose for prevention?

Thanks so much for any info you can provide, I will also be doing research online if i can find any of these answers I will post them here.

Ok, just for everyones info I talked to a vet from corid company. He talked to me a while on the phone and then sent me several documents via email to look at as well as this site http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm. If you go to this site, scroll down to control then Anticoccidial Drugs. Under this you will find 2 links, one for prevention and one for treatment. I used a chart sent to me by the vet to get the dosages that are recommended on those 2 links.

Everything I have looked at has given me these instructions:

For treatment: .024% amprolium (using liquid solution 9.6%) for 3-5 days then .006% for 1-2 weeks
mixing instructions: .32 fl oz or 9.5 ml per gallon for 3-5 days
.08 fl oz or 2.4 ml per gallon for 1-2 weeks

For prevention: .0125 to .025% amprolium in medicated feed (it should say on the feed bag how much it contains)

Back
Top Bottom