3 week old duckling has a limp.

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I just moved my 3 week old ducklings outside about 2 days ago, and immediately after having watched them run around in all their space I noticed that my sweet little Ancona has a decently prominent limp. Now she gets around just the same as the others, swims fine, and is not letting that leg stop her (I have noticed she has minor difficulty getting out of the pond), but I am concerned that her condition could worsen. My ducklings have been getting one tablespoon of nutritional yeast per one cup of feed, starting when they were about 6 days old (at that point I had had them for four days and was not able to find any until then) and all the others have been doing wonderfully, this leading me to believe this is not a Vitamin B1 thing. Could it be though?
I examined her leg and foot completely and she looks just fine.

if necessary I will attach a video tomorrow, it's too dark to do so now.

Do you have a video of her walking?
From what you have described I would suspect she received soft tissue damage that resulted in a sort of sprain, or strain. Over time this should resolve itself on its own, but to hasten healing one should attempt to reduce the duckling's movement and provide padded grounds. Let us know how the duckling does.

Do you have a video of her walking?
From what you have described I would suspect she received soft tissue damage that resulted in a sort of sprain, or strain. Over time this should resolve itself on its own, but to hasten healing one should attempt to reduce the duckling's movement, and provided padded grounds.
I do not unfortunately, though I do intend to get one tomorrow.
That makes sense. I mulched their run just yesterday so should I put something else down in another area of the run for her to rest on?

That makes sense. I mulched their run just yesterday so should I put something else down in another area of the run for her to rest on?

That would sorta depend on the severity of the limp. If she is barely able to put pressure on the leg, I would say that would be best, but if the limp isn't too bad you could probably get away with keeping her out in the run.
If the wood chips you have are a little large you may consider raking/sifting them out if possible; sometimes those large chips can cause abrasions to the feet, and make it uncomfortable for the bird to walk on.

I don't know anything about ducks, but I'm sure a lot of things that apply to chickens would apply to this situation too.
Have you picked her up and felt all the way down her leg? Have you checked your joints? If you feel her leg, does she show any sign of pain? You'll have to look closely because birds hide these signs very well.
Did you check her feet for bumble foot?

How is their pool set up? A safe way In and out?
D90B4866-71C0-4692-A56E-2E9693E498D5.jpeg

I don't know anything about ducks, but I'm sure a lot of things that apply to chickens would apply to this situation too.
Have you picked her up and felt all the way down her leg? Have you checked your joints? If you feel her leg, does she show any sign of pain? You'll have to look closely because birds hide these signs very well.
Did you check her feet for bumble foot?
I actually haven’t felt her but there were no surface Issues, no bumble foot. I’ll check her again if I can catch her 😉

Back
Top Bottom