3 week old Isa Brown and Black Cochin...Roos or Hens?

VredenburgS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Reed City, MI.
OK....I have been reading the posts and you all seem to be pretty confident so....here goes.....Hens or Roos or one of each?
44573_meme_close.jpg

44573_meme_close2.jpg

44573_uno_close_face.jpg

44573_uno_sideview.jpg

Thanks !

They all look like pullets to me
big_smile.png
I am not seeing anything that stands out as a cockeral as far as comb and what not. I know my cochins tended to make themselves known pretty early on.

Good luck
smile.png

I don't see any Cochins in there. They have feathered legs. And a Isa Brown is a sexlink, so males and females are different colors and they are sexable at hatch. The red ones don't look like Isa Browns, either--they seem too dark.

Kinda confused....is it 4 or 2 different chicks?......I will answer as if it is 4 diff. chicks
First 2 I have no idea.
idunno.gif

3rd looks like a roo
4th looks like a pullet

Quote:
That's what I was going to say. The red one also looks to have greenish legs and I think Isa Browns have yellow...

yeah ISA browns have yellow legs... those could be yellow in the pic? depending on the light?

and my ISA browns were also a lot lighter brown colored at that age... and didnt have the flecks on the feathers like those in the pictures seem to have...

but back to OP's original question
roo or pullet...

I am useless! sorry....

OK...sorry for the confusion...There are 2 chicks...top two pics are Meme----She / he was layed by a Black Cochin.....who has feathers on her feet.
last 2 photos are Uno----She / he was layed by an Isa Brown.....so, Now I am the one confused. The Hens that layed the eggs they came from are mine...?

1st one looks like a girl. Definately not a cochin. All the cochin crosses I have hatched have lots more feathers on the legs.

2nd one is a roo. See how thick the legs are? Do you have an Easter Egger rooster?

Red sex links, at hatch, are different colors. The girls are red, the boys are white. BUT- if a sex-link hen has chicks- they will NOT be sex-linked. It only works on the first crossing- like a RIR roo x White Rock hen= red sex- link chicks.

Back
Top Bottom