3 week old muscovies......Do they still need a heat lamp?

I would say that you should turn it on after they are in some water - to dry off. But you might be able to get away with having it off otherwise.

ummm guess I am out of the ordinary but we let our ducklings out into an outside run at age 2 1/2 weeks. They have a kiddie pool and food... No light nuthin. But it is 94 degrees today and the nights only get down to 65-70 degrees. Summer is upon us.

oh and I guess I should also mention that they were never under an actual heat bulb- they had a 60 watt light bulb in the house for 2-3 days and then were moved out to the shop under a 40 watt bulb.

we have 12 of them....no losses yet (knock on wood) But they are 4 weeks old now.

My 3 week olds are living outside with all the bigger ducks (around 5-8 weeks old) and have been for at least 1 1/2 weeks. There were enough of them to keep each other warm. Today it is 96 degrees out so no need for heat at all - in fact they are all panting.
hmm.png

right now it might drop down to about 50'F the odd time at night... they are in a barn which stops beezes and what not so it wont get as cold as being out in the open. just wanna make sure they should be ok.. thank you to everyone for your input

Quote:
That's what we did. Mine don't even go in the coop at night they sleep under it. There was 20 of them but I have sold them down to 11.

Back
Top Bottom