3 week old Pekin duckling hasn't grown :(

Kelli A

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
I'm new to the duck community, I bought two Pekin ducklings, they are still inside and hope to move them in to their hutch soon. I bought both at 3 days old from a local feed store, and my little duckling just hasn't grown, he swims, eats, and runs just fine, while my big one has quadrupled in size ! My little Bartholomew just hasn't grown at all. And he's still very friendly with me, unlike the other. They both eat the begging duckling food, and sleep on fresh towels as of right now, they always have clean water and bedding, I'm just curious as to why he would take grow??? I was told by the feed store guy he would more then likely die?? Is that true?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

What is the exact name of the feed you are using? Protein level?
Have you given him any electrolytes?
While Micro ducks are rare they aren't unheard of. Many of them live fairly normal lives.

Welcome to BYC!

While Micro ducks are rare they aren't unheard of. Many of them live fairly normal lives. 
I'm honestly not sure, the feed store gave me 5lbs of the duckling feed, they told me it's what they needed. I gave him poly vi so or how ever you spelled it, he's very active, I just started learning about ducks when I bought them, I bought the feed they told me what's best, they're still inside, even though they're out door home is ready. No electrolytes yet, but can be done asap if you think it will help. I have pedialyte on hand. Quite a few actually. He's very active, but his duck mate has outgrown him enormously and has trampled him. She shares very well with him, so he eats well. And he swims, he's feathering well just like his sister, but he's just so tiny and from all the stories I've read I'm afraid I'll loose him.

Welcome to BYC!

called the feed store and it's 21 % protien !

Welcome to BYC, Kelli!

How old are these ducklings? Can you post a picture of them? I'm wondering if they're different breeds. Feed stores aren't the most reliable for telling you what breed the ducklings are. People who work there often just honestly don't know. Pekins tend to grow pretty fast, so I'm wondering if you might have gotten one Pekin and one of some other breed.

Welcome to BYC, Kelli!
One second, I'll upload a picture. And let me check the dates ! They're around 3 week
How old are these ducklings? Can you post a picture of them? I'm wondering if they're different breeds. Feed stores aren't the most reliable for telling you what breed the ducklings are. People who work there often just honestly don't know. Pekins tend to grow pretty fast, so I'm wondering if you might have gotten one Pekin and one of some other breed.

this was last week, and you can see the difference then, in the morning I'll get a better one because he's still the same and she's just huge now!

they were both little yellow fluffs. My son originally picked the bigger one, and the little one came running after her, so he had to come too. And has been my good duckling since :)

Back
Top Bottom