3 week old Rouen with Wry neck

MrsJones91011

Songster
5 Years
Mar 29, 2018
Pisgah, MS
Ok, so I'm very new to ducklings. We have 2 Pekin and 2 Rouen that are 3 weeks old. I' feeding them chick grower 18% as directed by the duck breeder. Yesterday, I noticed a Rouen had what looked like a head tilt or like it was looking down at the ground with 1 eye. I thought nothing of it because it' eating, drinking, playing and swimming normally. Today it's still the same way so I looked up what it could be and saw where someone had theirs at the vet and was told it was wry neck. They suggested getting actual Duck pellets and aaid they were using Berocca. I can get pellets tomorrow, but not today. I see I can get Berocca at Walgreens which is right down the road, but my question is how do I give it and how much? Or is there another vitamin I can get at Walgreens that would work better? Thanks in advance!

I can't see where the Berocca would be as good as getting Poly Vi Sol with out iron just put a drop or 2 right inside the bill 2X a day.

Hopefully the vitamins and duck starter will take care of the problem.

Welcome to BYC Love your avatar.

Thank you!! I went ahead and drove to tractor supply and got the food and Sav-a-chick electrolytes so I'll give that and if I don' notice an improvement in a day or 2 I'll get some of the infant vitamins! Thanks for your help! And thank you, that was 5 days after we got our babies and the first time my youngest was brave enough to touch one lol I don't understand how she was afraid of the sweetest little things ever!

Miss Lydia, I swapped all the babys food to duck pellets Thursday and did add the electrolytes (Sav-a-chick) to the water but none of them cared for it. I offered plain water and the electrolyte and the electrolyte was almost full everytime I checked on them. So Friday evening I got the Poly-vi-sol and gave a dose Friday, 2 doses Saturday and 2 Sunday and today Oh's neck looks pretty much back to normal!! I'm so tickled! Thank you so much for your help! ❤

Thank you!! I went ahead and drove to tractor supply and got the food and Sav-a-chick electrolytes so I'll give that and if I don' notice an improvement in a day or 2 I'll get some of the infant vitamins! Thanks for your help! And thank you, that was 5 days after we got our babies and the first time my youngest was brave enough to touch one lol I don't understand how she was afraid of the sweetest little things ever!
One thing I would recommend as this worked for me is the “sav-a-chick” probiotics- I had a duckling with the same problem, I put the probiotics in with the electrolytes in the same gallon because my helper told me to, and 1 week later, she was all better. Hope this helps! You can find the probiotics right next to the electrolytes.

One thing I would recommend as this worked for me is the “sav-a-chick” probiotics- I had a duckling with the same problem, I put the probiotics in with the electrolytes in the same gallon because my helper told me to, and 1 week later, she was all better. Hope this helps! You can find the probiotics right next to the electrolytes.

I did get the combo pack so I mixed both on the gallon but getting them to drink it was HARD. I bought a few combo packs so I'll start giving both again tomorrow. Is that something I should give sporadically or just when they seem problematic?

You can use it during hot weather after worming and during molt and 1X a week at other times especially if you notice stress.

So happy to hear the poly vi sol worked for your lil one. That has always been the go to with something like wry neck.

Back
Top Bottom