3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

My Speckles looks exactly like your pullet, Sequin. It was faster to develop feathers than the others, and it's tail looks like your pullet's tail too.

ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
but i'm not sure yet...
fl.gif

I have 3 SS that are 16 weeks. I dont know what they are, either, of course, but I think I have a roo and two pullets, and I would also guess yours is pullet.

But I'll tell you a story, FWIW, since it's about SLW and not SS. We have/had 4 SLW who are now 16 weeks. For weeks, I was convinced two were roos and two were pullets. The two SLW roos were by far the meanest and most aggressive of the 51 chickens in this age group that we started with, plus the combs and wattles were much larger and redder, as were the birds themselves, than their two hens. Plan was always to send extra roos to freezer camp. Yesterday we processed 8 roos, including both the SLW roos.

Except one had ovaries, no testicles, and developing eggs in her.

But it's ok, I don't want a hen who's that mean, either. Sure was a shock, though.

Would roosters be developing spurs at 7 weeks? Because he only has little nubs on the backs of his feet, and all the others have the same size "nubs".

Last edited:
I received 5 SS "pullets" from Ideal in the first week of May - hatched May 5. I had suspicions that one was a rooster because of a bigger, redder comb than the others. He started crowing by 6 weeks. I don't know if this is typical or not - to be crowing at that age.

Quote:
Two weeks later, I change what I said. It's tail has changed to an iridescent black, and it's very skinny. It still looks like yours, Sequin, except for the tail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom