3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

The body shape is different on male and female SS birds. Males are very rounded with stubby tails and lots more white on the chest, generally, than the girls. And when there is a greenish sheen in the tail feathers, you have a cockerel.

Here's what I mean, first pic a pullet, second pic one of the cockerels:
DCP_7159.jpg

DCP_7411.jpg

Quote:
If what you say is true, then I am leaning toward pullet. But still, It's comb is awfully big.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is still a pullet. I will post pictures of my 5wk SS roo and you will see that there is quite a difference between the two. I was supposed to get 3 SS pullets as well, but ended up with 1 SS pullet, 1 SS roo, and 1 welsummer. Go figure. ANYway, I am not seeing any wattle developement or anything like that yet. Don't mark it off just yet.
wink.png

I'm going through the same thing right now, and I'm sorry for your frustration.
I love my little roo and so does his little sister. From day one she was his shadow.
It's going to be heartbreaking to seperate them once he starts crowing.
I'd love to keep him but my neighbors are not right in the head and I don't want to fuel the fire with them.

Quote:
Thanks. I mean, I play with him every day, he's so sweet, and I'm never like sad about him leaving if he is a rooster, but I have a feeling I will be when the time draws near. Not that he is 100% rooster, but I just don't know yet.

Here are sort of full body shots of it.
24946_dsc05772.jpg

24946_dsc05770.jpg

You can see there is almost no wattle development at all and the comb is not red.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom