3 week olds are going crazy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tytytytyler, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Tytytytyler

Tytytytyler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    So I'm in urgent need to get these chickens to calm down, they were one week old when we got them and I've had them for two weeks. They've done absolutely fine indoors. We upgraded their box just a few days ago to where they have more than what is required for them at their age. Just tonight, they've started chirping constantly and rushing to the corner of their box and huddling together, which inclined me to believe they were cold (Even though it was around 80 degrees, what I was told it should be for 3 week olds) because I took one and it was kind of shivering, so I lowered their lamp (heat source). Now it is about 85-90 degrees in their and they're still doing it. I've tried talking to them to calm them down, adding more wood shavings, and just about everything. They've been doing it about two hours now and I just don't know what their problem is. Does anyone have any ideas to calm them down?

I have 8 by the way, I probably should have mentioned that earlier.

2. sparkette65

sparkette65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    MA/RI border
    are you using a red bulb in your heat lamp? My chicks are about 2 weeks old and I notice that if I turn the light off for a bit, because the weather got REALLY warm the last two days, they chirped their little heads off, I turned the light back on and in a minute or two, they all calmed right down. The folks on here have posted that a "red" heat lamp has a calming effect on the chicks, without being so bright they cant sleep... so far it works for me. [​IMG]
    I wish you luck. I do sit next to the brooder, and dip my finger in the water, and then the wet finger in their mash, and they peck it right off of my finger. that seems to calm them down a bit also.... worth a shot....??
    take care,
    Lori

3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    could there be something IN the brooder that is freaking them out? (if cold isn't the problem)

I know it sounds odd...but could there be a mouse or lizard or something under the shavings on the other side?

just a thought...maybe one of the chicks is a pain in the arse and they are all squak'n to get that one out! LOL ???

I hope you figure it out and they calm down for you soon!!!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Have you taken them outside?

After I started taking mine outside on warm sunny afternoons, they all piled around their brooder door and called to be let out all the time.

I moved them outside yesterday and it's supposed to rain all week starting tomorrow. [​IMG]

5. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Quote:Mine did that when I moved them to a larger place until they got used to it.

6. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Funny, I had the exact opposite problem with my six 10 day olds [​IMG]...mine acted that way in their old brooder (which was technically still the right size for them). I couldn't figure out if the problem was heat, light or a lack there of... I kept checking on them all night and was freaked out myself trying to understand the panic and make adjustments as I could. The next day, I moved them to a bigger brooder and added small roosts for them to check out (oh and added a hanging feeder along with the "baby" floor feeder. They were SO happy and loved all the new exciting things to check out, especially the fun roosts. Last night they slept well and seemed just happy, thank goodness! [​IMG] We left a dim light in the room on (no red light for the first time ever) and they seemed to be ok. (we have a heat emitter lamp without a light on it). I'm sure you adjusted everthing you could think of, did anything work out?

7. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

They need to live outside!

8. Tytytytyler

Tytytytyler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    They finally calmed down on their own eventually. No clue what their problem was. I guess maybe the dryer or washer in the next room may have spooked them and it took them forever to calm down. I'm not sure. Either way they're quiet now.

I've been taking them outside supervised for a week now to the person who asked.

Anyways, thanks for all your replies. If they ever do it again, I'll consider your ideas.

9. Scoot58

Scoot58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Carver MA
    I have 4 week olds and the nice days that they are out all day they are quiet at night. On the cold days when they are in all day they are nuts.

I can't wait til I can leave them out all the time. The are so happy out side.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree, sounds like something spooked them. It could have been the tiniest most insignificant little thing that set them off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by