3 year hen won't eat or drink

whatachick

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 24, 2013
It started about a week ago, when I found our free range chicken just sleeping in the garden, looking so lethargic I thought she'd die any minute. Perked up a bit and now is worse. Won't eat. Takes a little of water from a dropper. I have isolated her, since she is beginning to be pecked at. Most feathers under her butt have come off over the last month. Any ideas what to do?

Last edited:
Could she be missing her home. I take it you just found her right? Like I mean she wasn’t yours to begin with. Maybe put FOUND papers up around the neighborhood and ask neighbors. If she doesn’t get better then take her to your local vet.
It started about a week ago, when I found this free range chicken just sleeping in the garden, looking so lethargic I thought she'd die any minute. Perked up a bit and now is worse. Won't eat. Takes a little of water from a dropper. I have isolated her, since she is beginning to be pecked at. Most feathers under her butt have come off over the last month. Any ideas what to do?
It started about a week ago, when I found this free range chicken just sleeping in the garden, looking so lethargic I thought she'd die any minute. Perked up a bit and now is worse. Won't eat. Takes a little of water from a dropper. I have isolated her, since she is beginning to be pecked at. Most feathers under her butt have come off over the last month. Any ideas what to do?

Oh, I'm sorry. No, she is our free range chicken. She was out all day when I noticed her just laying in the garden, looking like she was ready to die. I don't even know how to figure out what could be wrong. Thanks for your concern.

This sounds serious. How old is she? When was the last time she laid an egg? Could she have gotten I to a toxin while free ranging? How does her poop look and how does her crop feel? Is hervent clean? Please also looks her over for lice, mites, or ticks. Is she losing muscle on her breast? Sorry about all the questions, but we need more info to help narrow things down.

Back
Top Bottom